Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car running great after head swap. Just has leak of ATF that is getting on exhaust and burning. Any ideas ? Fluid level seems overfilled.

Verify where the leak is coming from - power steering or trans. The exhaust is rather long (think - entire length of car) so your info doesn't help much.

Verify what is leaking and fix it.

It's going to be hard for us to help you sight-unseen to fix it without any information at all.

Power steering typically leaks at the oring just under the reservoir that holds the fluid. Easy and cheap fix. If you just replaced heads this is like tying your shoes.

Trans typically leaks from the fluid hoses or rear seal. Again - another couple really easy fixes.

Transmission fluid leak is

Good info. Leak is dripping from cross member near the oil pan. I have checked the hoses I can see, especailly the ones that connect to the tubing under the head. The fluid is dripping even when the car is parked on ramps, but in park. Seems to drip worse when engine is revved above normal idle.

"dripping from behind oil pan, crossmember area, onto exhaust" doesn't tell us much of anything. it's like Subaru designed them to be annoying like that - just about everything that will/can leak can end up in that area (oil, ATF, coolant, etc). the engine config makes it such that all sorts of leaks will eventually lead to fluid build up and dripping there.

it's so common it makes me want to run dual pipes straight back so my subaru's can freely mark their territory from the area you described without the stinking smoke :lol::lol::lol:

so - first thing is to check the common power steering fluid leak. look at the reservoir where you add the fluid to the power steering pump. now, look from above it, down on top of the engine block. you might need a flashlight. if it's wet down there your reservoir oring is leaking. replace it.

the AT has hard and rubber lines from the transmission to the radiator side cooling tank. follow all of those and look for a leak.

good chance that hopefully one of those two easy things is where the leak is.

Edited by grossgary

FOUND IT. The leak was on the tubing running under the head. I jsut reached up and both the clamps spun by hand. Th eworst pulled off by hand. Two new clamps and no leak. My hands are not made to go into that area. Thanks Guys.