Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ18 How to check if fuel pump is getting power?

Hi,

Where is the fuel pump located on an EJ18, and how do I check for power?

I've tried pulling off the in-line and turning the key, isn't convincing enough for me.

Reason for this is that my car isn't starting and just died unexpectedly when I tried to start it one day.

It would help with the YR and Model.

The Legacy pumps are under an oval cover in the trunk or under the rear seat.

The older DL... are under the body back by the tank.

If you pull the fill cap and have someone turn on the key the pump will run until it builds pressure.

The only sure way to check the output of the pump is to install a pressure gauge and check the flow rate.

Is the CEL on?

Its a 1994 Impreza GC6.

Yes, the check engine light is on.

Can I remove the Inspection lid in the rear right side in cargo/boot, then remove the fuel tank lid and check out the fuel pump even tho I have half a tank of gas. Is it safe, what do I need to do otherwise?

is the green and silver plug the fuel pump relay. its above the fuse box on the right side of steering column

fuelpumprelay.jpg

I have tried listening for the fuel pump when turning the key to "On" but not to "start" and I can't hear any sound coming from the fuel pump, but i do hear a very quiet "did,did" sound.

So in my opinion I think it is either the Relay for the pump or the pump itself, I am leaning more towards the Relay tho. Because my car just died without warning when I went to start it.

Edited by sub_dont_touch