Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nor*Cal / Nevada Crowd. WCSS Plans??

I was going to PM all you guys, but this should work faster and we can all collaborate.

I myself am not 100% sure I can make the trip. My largest concern is the Brat making it and back, and then after that in a close second is the cost of fuel & food.

Time off may not be a big deal though.

I think it's a good idea to post in the forum rather than PM, at least it keeps all of us that are participating on the same page.

I'm shooting for leaving Thursday morning, roughly taking the same route that we've taken to the Hood River WCSS, overnight in Bend.

From Tahoe/Reno, 395 to Susanville.

CA-139 to Klamath Falls

US 97 to Bend (stay overnight).

Leave Bend B&E Friday (to avoid the heat going through the Indian res)

US 97 to Madras

US 26 to OR-35 to Hood River

Cross either at Hood River Bridge or Bridge of the Gods, whichever we're feeling that day:rolleyes:.

Return following the same route.

Camping along the way home on Sunday night was pretty cool actually, that's a good possibility.

Brian, remember that my wagon's made the trip many times..you'll be all right. Just get your BRAT in tiptop shape it can be, take some spare parts you may need (tools of course). I'm due for a cooling system flush, I'll have Norm check some other stuff while it's up on the hoist.

Im pretty confident these tired old EA81's can get us there and back. Just need to make sure to bring a few spare parts... like alternators, starters, fuel pumps. maybe even distributors.

I think im going to spend a week or two workin on the brat, to get it ready for the trip.

To sound like a broken record, I am in the same boat. I am working on getting the brat running well enough to get me up there and back. I have incentive as well, my sister wants to go up this year.

My plan is this:

Leave Thursday after work around 5 or so, drive as far as I can that night, then the rest of the way friday. Stay at the show and leave sunday afternoon, and head back, spend 2 or 3 days coming back and by the time I am tired of being on the road, I'll be home.

Hum.... plans.... Uh, I have not give in much thought yet this year. All I know is I have Friday-Tuesday off. I think I'll just hop in the Outback Friday morning and head on up. I'm moving next month and I think I'll be a little strapped for cash, but I'll make it. :)

I asked for Friday, the 28th off, and Monday, Tuesday, and wednesday, the 31st, 1st, and 2nd of september off. That should give me time to get up there and back.

You may want to consider Thursday 27th off too, that'll give you a whole day to get there before Friday's "festivities".

I'll hold a space for you if you can't get there until Friday night.

Just my 2 bucks

You may want to consider Thursday 27th off too, that'll give you a whole day to get there before Friday's "festivities".

I'll hold a space for you if you can't get there until Friday night.

Just my 2 bucks

Friday is always a slow day for the show. Most of the happenings seem to be on Saturday.

Does anyone know the entry fee, camping fee or if there is early registration??

count renaissanceman in this year!! The sad part is that I had to sell my lifted brat:dead:. I broke my ankle at the end of the semester and not being able to work I have become desperate for income. The good news is that I sold it to a friend of mine and he is already taking better care of it than I was.

So strangely enough.. I don't even know if I can believe this, but right now my 82 GLF (4wd) is 100% mechanically sound, and there aren't any scary problems with it that would worry me on a long trip. Its wierd I know.. I am kinda worried having a reliable vehicle will take the fun out of the adventure. (or curse murphy's law on me)

Anyway... I am already planning out a savings plan for myself so I can actually afford to make the trip. I'd like to even take the long way around and meet up with the Nevada convoy first and head up with you guys.

-Mike

Awesome.

I have been trying to make a list of stuff to bring. Like a EA81 First Aid kit, since I'm thinking the majority of the crowd will have EA81's & EA81 drivetrain.

So far I have:

• Spare Alternator(s)
  • pair of front wheel bearings, & seals
  • spare CV.... or a BIG hammer
  • Various brake parts
  • belts, lug nuts, etc...
  • Fluids (ATF, 10w30, Water)

Mike you remember how to get to my place? Im not sure if I am going to spend the night in Reno just yet, or just shoot up I5 from Sacramento.

• 2 months later...

Okay so here is where I am at:

I have prepaid & bought glasses & shirts from Richie. So that pretty much makes it a 99% chance of me making it. That, and I have even been confident enough to invite Greenley along with me as my co-pilot to help me navigate tunes & keep my rump roast awake on the road.

So with that said, I am still not sure if my departure will be from Sacramento enroute I5 or Reno with JB and Dave, enroute somewhere toward susanville.

Reno to the WCSS via I5 ( http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=reno,+nevada&daddr=Skamania+County+Fairgrounds+in+Stevenson,+WA&hl=en&geocode=%3BFYYwuQIdnPm7-CG7_eByXd0RhQ&mra=ls&sll=39.530368,-119.81439&sspn=0.409379,0.891953&ie=UTF8&ll=42.073762,-119.146729&spn=6.302789,14.27124&z=7 ) is about the same as reno to the WCSS via 97 ( http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=reno,+nevada&daddr=44.048116,-121.322021+to:Skamania+County+Fairgrounds+in+Stevenson,+WA&hl=en&geocode=%3B%3BFYYwuQIdnPm7-CG7_eByXd0RhQ&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=7&via=1&sll=42.073762,-119.146729&sspn=6.302789,14.27124&ie=UTF8&z=7 )

Than there is my route, Sacramento to WCSS via I5 ( http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=95610&daddr=Skamania+County+Fairgrounds+in+Stevenson,+WA&hl=en&geocode=%3BFYYwuQIdnPm7-CG7_eByXd0RhQ&mra=ls&sll=42.461967,-120.753479&sspn=1.566238,3.56781&ie=UTF8&ll=42.114524,-122.036133&spn=12.593088,28.54248&z=6 ) which is only 90minutes shorter than the Reno's gang, which is the 90 minutes it takes to drive me from Sac to Reno. Or there is the option we have done in the past, where I travel I5 to Weed, and connect to 97 through Klamath Falls ( http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=95610&daddr=42.212245,-121.750488+to:Skamania+County+Fairgrounds+in+Stevenson,+WA&hl=en&geocode=%3B%3BFYYwuQIdnPm7-CG7_eByXd0RhQ&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=7&via=1&sll=41.95132,-121.168213&sspn=6.31491,14.27124&ie=UTF8&z=7 ) which is pretty much the exact same if I just drive to Reno to begin with.

So that is the way up. Leave Thursday afternoon/evening. And Find ourselfs ariving at the Fairgrounds by Friday afternoon, with enough sunlight left to setup camp and start to make our rounds.

The drive home seems like we have alot more freedom. We can finalize those plans when we are all together having lunch, somewhere in the middle of Oregon :)

I requested the time off already, so its all set for me as well. I am still not sure if I will be taking ol brownie or the silver car. Brownie still has broken trans mounts and a CV front that is starting to irritate me. the Silver GL needs new tires and some carburetor work still. *shrugs*

I guess we'll see which I tackle this next weekend? lol...

FWIW Brian, the "Starting location" on those itineraries is from downtown Reno. Jibs' place is about 20 miles north of there, so the show is actually a half hour or so closer than that :).

But I (89451) am still an hour away from Jibs'...:rolleyes:

Just my 2 bucks

Dave, what sort of route did you have in mind? Also, any word from the Arizona guys??

Arizona guys (and sis) are out this year, various reasons. Will miss them.

I was considering travelling with Jibs, leaving after he gets home from work Thursday afternoon. I think his preferred route is 395 (Susanville)-44-89-5. Sounds pretty good to me, by the time we hit the really desolate stretches near Eugene:-p, it ought to be good and dark so I won't have to look at it..much cooler ride, too. Camp out along the way. (JB, please correct me if I'm off here) I'd prefer to arrive at the show around noon or so, on Friday.

Maybe I'll have time to take a nap before leaving :lol:.

--

Southbound: Your proposal in PM sounds mostly good for me, we can decide the details whenever. :rolleyes:

My 2 bucks

See you at the show Jeremy. If you leave early enough and drive fast enough you maybe able to catch up to us. But, ive seen you drive so I doubt it :lol:

Hahahahahaha thanks for the laugh... I'm not denying anything tho! :lol:

Looks like there is going to be a good turn out of locals this year! Can't wait!

Pete, do you still need those strut extensions?