Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I tell what engine I have in my 85 GL?

Hey,

I'm pretty new to owning and working on my own car, but I love what I have done with my Dad in the past and have always been very interested.

I've been driving my GL for around a year and a half now, and have always wanted to go about modding it and taking it offroad, but never had the money, and would like to start now.

I am just wondering how I can tell what engine is in my 85 GL?

Justin

It's a station wagon, carb'd. I'm sure you knew that without me telling you, though.

It is an ea82, which is an 1800cc overhead cam engine. Just to be sure that the previous owner didn't swap in a jaguar straight six, EA82 should be stamped on the front top of the block, just left of center as you look at it from the front of the car upon popping the hood.

If he tells us what body style he has then I can just give him the engine designation as well as the specs ect.

You're going to make him go out there with a flashlight after 10 pm? That's kinda mean..... :rolleyes:

There was no SPFI in 85. It's either carbed, MPFI, or turbo.

GD

No i understand that GD just no sarcastic humor you usually apply to a vague post. I kinda missed it. :)

It is an ea82, which is an 1800cc overhead cam engine. Just to be sure that the previous owner didn't swap in a jaguar straight six, EA82 should be stamped on the front top of the block, just left of center as you look at it from the front of the car upon popping the hood.

Im guessing the straight six true story? lol sounds cool