Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Pinging

My 93 Loyale with EA82, with 80,000 miles has a bad ping- sometimes.

Have checked and re-checked timing and it is right on.

Good gas, etc...

Sometimes it does not ping at all, others, it pings badly during light acceleration.

Also noticed that when it does ping, it decelerates much faster when letting the foot off the accelerator.. wierd

It does not ping when the engine is cold, right after start up, but as soon as it warms up, the pinging starts - usually, not always.

I think it is fuel - running lean, but this thing has the SPFI.

How is the fuel delivery schedule done on this?

Any ideas?

I have a 93 Loyale EA 82, and when I would get about half way up a hill would start to ping whenever I accellerated. Along with the ping which would get louder until cresting the hill, I noticed a rise in temp and a slow decline in power.

On a guess I decided to try premium octane gas, and that solved the problem. Since then I use only premium which as you know causes spasms in my wallet, but my soobie runs a lot better.

Rick

If you use 92 octaine or higher it may help you, but considering the price you better check out other things:

Make sure all three PCV hoses are clear of obstruction.

Make sure your transmission modulator is not leaking.

Seafoam your engine.

When you look at the bottom of this page you see other threads about pinning. Read them as well.

Try this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49760

Good luck,

Sam

If you use 92 octaine or higher it may help you, but considering the price you better check out other things:

Make sure all three PCV hoses are clear of obstruction.

Make sure your transmission modulator is not leaking.

Seafoam your engine.

When you look at the bottom of this page you see other threads about pinning. Read them as well.

Try this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49760

Good luck,

Sam

That transmission modulator is located on the right side of the trany I think, but how is it checked?

That transmission modulator is located on the right side of the trany I think, but how is it checked?

Pull the hose. It suppose to be dry. If fluid is present the diaphragm is shot and unit needs to be replaced. Dealer's price is around 50 dollars.

Good lukck,

Sam

To answer to your question about the fuel delivery system - it's a feedback loop controlled primarily through the O2 sensor, AND the coolant temp sensor. When the engine is cold (before the O2 begins reporting), the fuel delivery is controlled based on engine temp, and tends to be rich - thus no pinging. I would put my money on the O2 being bad - once it switches over to closed-loop operation the O2's data is telling the engine that it's running too rich.

Either that or you have a bad cylinder/valve or ignition system that is causing large amounts of unburned fuel out the exhaust - that would give the false rich signal and cause the ECU to try and lean out the mixture. Ignition problems would be more likely than mechanical problems though I would think as the mechanical inneficiencies of a single cylinder would tend to be self-correcting in matters of fueling - if it's low on compression it's not going to draw in as much mixture as the other three.

Anyway a compression test is in order, as well as an ignition check and probably an O2 sensor replacement. All of which are cheap and will help to narrow down the possibilities.

GD

Okay, pulled the line off the modulator and a small amount of ATF leaked out and dripped.

I will order one of those tomorrow.

It was not obvious to me how that is installed.

How does it come out?

Also, I imagine there is ATF now in that vacuum line and I wonder about the solenoid valve that is down stream of it. What does it do and if it has ATF in it, will it affect it?

BTW, with that line disconnected and plugged, the pining seemed to be a lot less.

Okay, pulled the line off the modulator and a small amount of ATF leaked out and dripped.

I will order one of those tomorrow.

It was not obvious to me how that is installed.

How does it come out?

Regular channellock will do that. You will loose some ATF, but not much so be prepared to add some.

Also, I imagine there is ATF now in that vacuum line and I wonder about the solenoid valve that is down stream of it. What does it do and if it has ATF in it, will it affect it?

BTW, with that line disconnected and plugged, the pining seemed to be a lot less.

The fluid in the lines will be burnt off in the engine. Do not worry about it.

Vacuum is applied to your transmission for gear changes. I do not think you will be able to go far...

Good luck,

Sam