Ultimate Subaru Message Board

D/r from 84 to 89

So heres what i've got. I work at a wrecking yard, and we have a computer system that allows me to locate parts pretty much nationwide as long as its someone using the Hollander System and is hooked up to the Eden network. Our computer system shows us parts interchanges but only for factory interchanges, for example. If i look up an engine for an 86 chev pickup, it doesn't show a 400. But a 400 will fit, but according to our computer it never came from the factory with a 400 in it. Back on subject with what i've got. We just got an 84 gl sw d/r 5spd. And according to our computer from 83 to 87 tranny's are the same, but the only difference is the gear ratio. My question being, will the tranny from an 84 fit an 89, I don't care much if the only difference is the gear ratio. I'm thinking that since all the blocks were the same for quite awhile, that it should, maybe just having to change the axle shafts? I don't need a tranny right now, but all were going to do with the car is crush it, I'd hate to see it go to waste if I can use it.

And another question, this has an ea82 block with cylinder heads still there, this thing had 161k on it. Its my understanding from what I've read, and i'm far from an expert, that the heads off of any ea82 engine should be the same, I wouldn't mind at least pulling these to look at to see how bad of a crack there is in them, but don't want to waste my time if they wont interchange.

So heres what i've got. I work at a wrecking yard, and we have a computer system that allows me to locate parts pretty much nationwide as long as its someone using the Hollander System and is hooked up to the Eden network. Our computer system shows us parts interchanges but only for factory interchanges, for example. If i look up an engine for an 86 chev pickup, it doesn't show a 400. But a 400 will fit, but according to our computer it never came from the factory with a 400 in it. Back on subject with what i've got. We just got an 84 gl sw d/r 5spd. And according to our computer from 83 to 87 tranny's are the same, but the only difference is the gear ratio. My question being, will the tranny from an 84 fit an 89, I don't care much if the only difference is the gear ratio. I'm thinking that since all the blocks were the same for quite awhile, that it should, maybe just having to change the axle shafts? I don't need a tranny right now, but all were going to do with the car is crush it, I'd hate to see it go to waste if I can use it.

Might want check that tranny again.

80-84 wagons are EA81 engines and they were mated up to a 4sp d/r.

85-89 wagons were EA82's and they had a 5sp d/r.

It may have been swapped out, but an 84 should have a 4sp d/r if its from

the factory.

Twitch

I'LL go out and check the tranny, for sure the engine thats in the back of the car at least is clearly stamped ea82, but i'm going to go out and check and see if the tranny is 4 or 5 speed, as you stated someone may have swapped

It is a 5sp, so someone must have converted it. I just hope I can get it pulled before the crusher shows up this afternoon, off the top of anyones head, what other parts would you pull that will interchange, head lights look brand new but according to our computer its 84 only.

Does it look the same as your '89, or does it look like an EA81/Brat?

Either the 84 wagon you have was some ones failed conversion project, its a pile of left over subaru crap of mixed years, or the car is actually an 85.

To answer your question, as long as both cars are turbo, or both are naturally aspirated then yes it will fit. The gear ratio that should concern you is the final drive ratio. The turbo cars came with a 3.7, and the other manuals were 3.9's. The tranny MUST be matched to the rear end.

The EA81 2wds could be equipped with a 5 speed

83-87 EA81 4spd d/r (brat/leone body style)

85-89 EA82 5spd d/r (loyal body style)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84798

I have an 89 non turbo ea82, this car that came in is an 84 all i can tell you is that it has an engine sitting in the back that is clearly stamped ea82 not ea82t and it has a carburetor laying in the front seat. The tranny is still in the car, i sat in it and went through all 5 speeds. I decoded the vin and it does come back as an 84. Its all a moot point now, its done been squished.

It was an early '85 then. Definately not an '84 - it could have been a title mistake or a very early production from late '84.

Your computer is wrong. 85 to 89 are the D/R 5 speeds that will fit your car. 83/84 will only be 4 speeds. You will likely never see one that has been converted as the process is not straight forward enough for there to be a lot of them out there.

GD