Ultimate Subaru Message Board

pouring gas..

beans

alright i have a 1986 subaru gl wagon. i have swapped a ej22 into it.. since the swap the car will piss gas out the canister at random points in time.. please help i will drain the whole tank and that gets costly.. anythoughts will help

Is it possible that your gastank is getting pressurized, and the only place for the gas to go is out the canister?

If this is so (and I think it is) this is a dangerous thing. Check your vacume line routing. I dont know this year well enough to know the vac diagram off hand.

nipper

even with no gas cap, it pushes fuel out the vent line?

here's the post that led me to try running with the gas cap loose:

Maybe the lines on the fuel separator are a bit gummed up from sitting so long. I'm pretty sure my loyale had sat for a long while before I got it and had some issues with pressure building up in the tank for a while and they eventually went away on its own. Once you burn some gas out of the tank maybe you could blow out the little lines behind the filler pipe on the tank. One goes to the top of the separator and the other is at the bottom of the separator draining back into the tank. This is assuming the evap system is the same as the loyale :rolleyes: and assuming those lines aren't too crusty to get loose w/o breaking something, lol.

Or we can do what I did and just let the gas eventually dissolve whatever crud is causing the pressure.

I got lucky. after a couple tanks of gas, it seemed to solve itself. but Dhise mentions cleaning out the separator.....that might be your next step.

i suppose that is what i will do. ill let you know if it changes anything. i have hanyes books and factory repair books.. but where is the fuel separator on a 86

Edited by beans

You sure that you hooked the return line from the EJ22 to the right hose going back to the tank? There are 3 pipes that the hoses hook up to on the drivers side of the engine, one's the fuel feed, one's the return, and ones the evap. If you swapped the return and the evap, it would be returning fuel through the seperator and fuel from the tank could be coming down the return line and flooding the carbon canister.

• 1 month later...