Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heya guys! XT help

hey all! I'm a Washington Subaru nut here! own a 91 XT and a 85 GL wagon.

but anyways, i got an interesting problem, i think i know whats causing it.. but id like some more ideas what it might be before i jump in and do something serious.

my problem is that the car doesn't idle well, idles about 1200rpm when cold and about 1500 when warm.. it studders at idle but revs up smooth.

It also has the timing super advanced.. cause if I set it at the factory setting it wont even rev up at all, it just studders at 500rpm. it doesn't seem to have any power at all.. has an ungodly amount of torque on the freeway, but my wagon can beat it in a drag race.

Also, it doesn't want to rev at all past 6,000 rpm, it sounds like the valves are floating.. or something.. just bogs

i have a good idea what it might be, but I'm not familiar with these fuel injected EA82's

ill post a youtube when its done prosessing

3707358999_7e43c45287.jpg

Just to the right of the ECU look for a green plug and a black plug. Connect the green plug to set the timing. After setting the timing make sure both the green and black plugs are unplugged.

Fast idle probably nothing more than a dirty coolant temperature sensor (CTS). Should be located somewhere on the intake manifold over on the MC side. Not to be confused with the temperature sensor for the in dash gauge.

Replacing the dirty coolant temp sensor solved the fast/rough idle problem I had with my EA82t XT but this should apply to your 1991 XT too.

Any McParts store will have a "85850" 2-wire fuel injector socket repair kit in the HELP section. The coolant temp sensor uses this standard bosch fuel injection socket. Cut away a few inches of the original CTS wire, solder & heatshrink on the new wire/bosch fuel injector socket & plug it in. Nice XT too!

You've got good help already, so I'm just popping in to complement you on the car. It's absolutely gorgeous. Looks great with the wagon wheels.

whats with the negative oil pressure, is the guage ************ed?

i might check the valve timing and check for vaccum leaks and the such, you know usual stuff

well, i just fixed the valve timing few hours ago.. was a few teeth off on the passenger side.. now the thing revs to god knows how high. but still idles fast.. it idles ALOT faster after its warmed up.. (1800rpm) i also plugged all the vacume lines.. dident help much.. the throttle adjustment screw is all the way in.. the TPS is zero'd out.. ive done evrything i know how to do.. without outside help :P

where is the CTS located at? i need pictures ive looked! >__<

well, i just fixed the valve timing few hours ago.. was a few teeth off on the passenger side.. now the thing revs to god knows how high. but still idles fast.. it idles ALOT faster after its warmed up.. (1800rpm) i also plugged all the vacume lines.. dident help much.. the throttle adjustment screw is all the way in.. the TPS is zero'd out.. ive done evrything i know how to do.. without outside help :P

You probably need to replace you're AAV (auxillary air valve) it is under the upper intake, bolted to the bottom coolant crossover section of the manifold. Passenger side, kinduv a metal tube with 2 hoses and a wiring pigtail (also the bosch 85850 style)

It is a vavle that is supposed to close when heated, both by an electric element, and to a lesser extent by the heat of the engine

Pinch off one of the hoses and if the idle drops, you know that is you're problem. I used a pair of small vicegrips clamped on the hose for a few weeks on my car, works fine, just will need to be "warmed up" for a min or two to prevent stalling in the mornings.

If that's the case, check that there is voltage on the wires going to it. If there is voltage, then you know the valve itself is bad. If no voltage, then repair wiring or fuse or whatever then retest.

Interestingly, alot of 80's Volkswagens used the same AAV as the one on you're car if yyou have a hard time locating.

where is the CTS located at? i need pictures ive looked! >__<

CTS is in the lower portion of the intake (coolant crossover) on the rear, drivers side, near where the heater hose joins engine. Should be a tan connector.

Edited by Gloyale

i still cant find it >__<

how bout this.. free CV axle off a ea82 wagon with a bad boot to whoever comes here and helps me fix this dang problem! XD

im gonna need a picture.. Ive taken off every clip that looks like an injector clip.. and it doesnt change a thing.. im not used to these sensors and crap :P

*edit* sorry that my cars being a pain in the butt.. i really am trying to figure this out. After evry new responce i go outside and look for an hour or two.. I've been up since saturday working on this thing. im getting kinda desperate.

Edited by STI_Wolf

how bout i give a (fairly new) cat and a bad cat with molten aluminum inside to help me get this thing fixed? or ill let you pick threw a 85 GL wagon parts car i got sitting here.. ill drive if its not too far :) i just need this thing to be as reliable as possible so i can start driving it cross country.

most of the time you can just clean the contacts and the wiring harness connector. you'll notice how green and corroded it is.

try that first, then you don't have to remove the sensor. the sensors rarely fail, every single one i've ever seen has been fixed by cleaning the contacts, i've never seen a failed CTS. but i've only owned 30 or so EA/ER vehicles :lol:.

scrape the contacts with a tiny screw driver, sandpaper, etc. Clean the inside of the connector too, it's tight in there but find something to clean it up.

even easier - the XT6 CTS connector is actually the same as a part sold in the HELP! sections of many national auto parts stores. good chance the EA82 is the same, been awhile since i looked at one.

>__> was afraid it was that one :P anyway to bypass that and tell it to stop making my car idle so damn high?

It likely isn't the CTS that is causing the fast idle.

Like I said, I think it is the AAV. I'm telling you, look for the 5/8ths tube that runs out of the intake boot, down under the intake to a valve, and then back up to a port on the side of the intake near throttle body. Pass side.

Clamp that hose when it's idling high. if it drops, bingo.

It is a heated valve, with an element, and a bi-metal spring like a choke spring. If the element goes bad, or if the spring breaks it just stays open, allowing a large volume of air into the engine for a fast idle.

Test that 12v gets to it with key on just to rule out the circuit, but likely oyu just need a new valve.

* For any non-spider EA82T people following this, your AAV is the thing right atop the thermostat housing, but the function and dignosis (i.e. vicegrips) are the same

alright, i fixed the problem. it was the AAV.. it was gunked up with oil.. i cleaned it out.. and put it back in and wallah! down to 700rpm idle! :D

also i changed the pcv hoses around so i wouldent get that problem anymore.. seems to work really well too:banana: