Ultimate Subaru Message Board

81 subaru hatchback?

Hey whats up, I am looking into buying an 81 Subaru hatchback (3 door), 230k for $300. It has been trashed but it is running awesome (it's a Subaru..of course it does). It has a EA71. Should I be concerned about parts? Do you have suggestions? Any concerns of this year? Recommendations? Should I not buy it, anything you let me know I would Appreciate it.

Thanks,

Wes

I would love to get myself an 81 hatch!

I guess it depends on how much wrenching you're ready to get into. Even though it runs awesome as you state, it does have 230k on it, and a whole slew of issues will need to be addressed now or soon.

IMO buy it for $200,... weberize it... seafoam it... and have a grand ole' time cruising down the road...

But I am not sure about the weber on an EA71... more informed minds should chime in. I am running a weber on an 84 EA81 wagon as a daily driver. Runs great!

Parts will be difficult, yes.

I would pass on the '81 just because of the EA71 and the lack of a D/R transmission (or even the option without swapping the engine). Externally regulated alternator, engine bay mounted fuel pump (no return line), etc, etc.

If you want a hatch, look for an '83 or newer. Easier to find parts for, and capable of accepting the 5 speed, SPFI, all the goodies.

An '81 will just be a headache.

GD