Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this a problem?

I put forth this question in my build thread, but I figured I'd give it it's own thread rather than being buried in the other one, as I need an answer. My question is this. Do I need to be concerned about this crack? The engine is a 78' or so EA71 1600

2973755490070852740S500x500Q85.jpg

It seems to be in a solid part of the block and only very slightly extends into the bores. Does not reach to where the rings stop. Can I run the engine with this crack, should I have it ground out and filled with weld, or is it terminal? I know of some engines that have issues with blocks cracking (mostly from bolt holes to water passages) that has no bearing on anything other than there being a crack there. I am hoping this is the case here, but have no experience with the Subie engines. Also, not that I plan on using them, but both heads look to have a crack running between the intake and exhaust seats. No signs of any coolant leaking thru as it's still carboned up. Common issue?

Mark

With the amount of these engines that I have found available, I would scrap the block, use the scrap money on a six pack, and start lookin for another. I have at least 1 good block here, I have 4 of those motors on a pallet and 2 that run, and another that ran before I pulled all the stuff I wanted off it... So I have like 7 of them.... I dont know how common they are in your parts though, but if they are as common as up here, yeah toss the bad block for a good one.

The bores have steel sleeves in them though, so it *should* be ok if you can find a machine shop to punch out the sleeves, weld it up, and re-install the sleeves. A lot of places wont do that anymore :-\ It sounds like your engine was severely overheated at one point or another, or driven like it was stolen multiple times for prolonged periods... or both, one resulting in the other

-Bill

My question is this. Do I need to be concerned about this crack?

Most look like that with anything over 100k but they'd continue to run plenty much longer if needed just as is.

But,you've got a nice project so my vote is for you to keep looking. Some of us have gotten rebuilt (ATK) engines in the past couple of years so they're still out here.

If you can search Brian Thompson's old posts he once posted a couple of new or rebuilt 1400 and 1600's that were at a garage in So.Cal.

Well, I have not been looking earnestly, but they don't seem to be all over the place here. I can find tons of 81's and 82's, which don't help. And if I did find one, it would probably be a late motor, and I kinda like the fact the early motor looks very similar to the EA63 currently in the car. I will keep my eyes open for a replacement, but if one does not show up, I will probably just build this one. If I do build this one, I plan to grind down the crack and TIG weld it back up, surface it flat, and o-ring the block. It should be fine as the crack is maybe 1/32nd deep at the most and it's in a solid part of the motor.

Mark

That doesnt look like a crack to me, it looks more like an erosion path. As long as you keep in mind that the repair may not work and dont blame subaru, the planets, or karma, i would say go ahead and try to repair it.

nipper