Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another Newbie with '82 Subie (Brat)

Howdy folks! I just drove home my new Brat tonight after a grueling day of getting the deal done (standing around in 100 degree temperatures while being attacked by biting gnats--all worth it). Its a nice, original, virtually rust free '82, with 87,000 mls. on it. Also included: a potentially driveable parts Brat ('86?) if I can figure out how I can haul it 80 miles to my house... I'm excited to get my hands on it tomorrow and clean it up-- pictures to follow. It's Toreador Red with the T-top sunroofs and an incredibly crummy radio. All I can see that I need is a front passenger side headlight lens (I know, not that easy to find), a shift knob, and a trim piece for the top edge of the tailgate.

It drove nice coming home, though I had to reaquaint myself with driving an older, manual, carburated vehicle.

I've had fun exploring this website--lot's of good info!

Good luck on that Amokster! Don't rush it-- the right one will come along, though, if the seller of the one you are interested in is that fussy about his Brat it might be a keeper.

I was very happy to find such a low mileage Subaru (my '06 Forester has only 57,000 on it-- only 30,000 less than this 27 year old Subie).

Today I spent HOURS cleaning up the new Brat--fortunately, my husband volunteered to help out, so we washed it and he polished and waxed while I cleaned and vacuumed and shampooed in the interior. It looks GOOD, Nice and shiny now.

Okay, so at least you can get to the pics one way or another. Anyway--there are obviously other Toreador Red '82s out there. I like the big tires. Mine is bone stock.... Might leave it that way, though the lift kit looks like fun....