Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My first subaru

I recently bought a 1988 subaru gl 3 door(2dr hatchback). Its a EA82 SPFI, 5spd transmission, dual range four wheel drive, 132,000 miles for only $800. So far i really like the car, good mpg, four wheel drive and reliable. But when i bought the previous onwer said it needed wheel bearings replaced on passenger side but once i got the car home(4 hours away) i checked the passenger side axle and it was cracked and spewed all of the grease in the engine bay. I cleaned it up ordered a new axle and gates timing belts from parts train. I got a haynes repair manual and checked into timing belt replacement, looks a little over my head. And it idles high,about 1500-2000 when first started and about 1000-1500 when at stops and in neutral. I cleaned the idle air control valved and still no change. Also when i pull to a stop occasionally it will start to idle irractically, jumping from 1000 to 1500. Looking for a little advice on who are some good subaru mechanics on the oregon coast and what other things should i check and/or replace on this subaru besides a basic tune up.

Im suprised no one has chimed in lately.

Welcomem aboard.

Thank you for giving exact information about your car it will help.

The idleing iratically problem seems somewhat common. It could be a number of things like bad iac, the maf might be dirty, or the coolent temp sensor. Others will chime in on how to check them. As for what parts to buy ngk plugs and wires, or magnacore if you want to get crazy. oem t-stat is a must. Cap and rotor should be oem as well but people have had luck with other brands. Same goes with the coil. As far as the timeing belts, i havent done this job myself but there are several write ups on here and it is a bit overwhelming at first but very dooable with hand tools. Not a bad idea to address a couple more possible issues while your in there. As far as good subaru mechanics in oreagon, well welcome to the club. This place is full of mostly oreagon and washington subaru nuts. They will help you, lift your car, drag you out to the woods, break it, drag it back, fab it up to something from a frakenstein movie and then give it back to you. I think your in good hands.

As far as parts if you have a good local subaru dealership then good for you but rockauto.com or 1stsubaru.com are good as well. Others will chime in.

IM a picture whore so this thread is worthless with out pictures.

I recently bought a 1988 subaru gl 3 door(2dr hatchback). Its a EA82 SPFI, 5spd transmission, dual range four wheel drive, 132,000 miles for only $800.

Great. You are gonna love it.

BUt I want to point out something very important.

IT IS a 3-door. If you call it a *hatchback* you will get EA81(Brat,Hatch,Old Wagon) parts. Almost none of which are interchangeable. And you will confuse people here on the borad.

EA82 = 3-door or coupe.

EA81 = Hatch

Welcome to the board

where is the coolant temp sensor located? I knew i was right with the 3-door term, the chumps down at the local NAPA said it could only be a wagon, sedan, or hatchback. And i tried to explain to them that the owners manuel says 3-door and they wouldnt have it. but what other things would i checj out once i'm in there replacing the timing belst?

AND THANKS FOR WELCOMING ME TO THE BOARD! love it so far.

...... it will start to idle irractically, jumping from 1000 to 1500. ............Looking for a little advice on who are some good subaru mechanics on the oregon coast and what other things should i check and/or replace on this subaru besides a basic tune up.

Try shooting some silicone spray into the air/idle mixer, (don't have my book and been 2 years since I sold my 88 so not sure of exact name) it is located front/left on throttle body injector (carberator) ... pull 5/8" hose off top and spray silicone into (hose runs from Mass air flow sensor to front of Throttle body (Carberator).. this is uaully a problem during cold weather but who knows? Try spraying with engine running, remove hose and give a shot into air mixer thingy (shuttle moves back and forth to mix air/fuel and can become sticky).. motor speed will very as hose is removed... Maybe sticky?...

also, possibly time for some, "Seafoam". (see auto parts dealer) some in your gas, some in your oil before next oil change-read directions... Subarus love this stuff!

Best Subaru mechanic is yourself.... these cars take a bit of learning but once you have figured them out then you realize they are some of the last few cars that a person can tinker with and not that diffecult... just start slow and do a "search" on the site and every thing gets easier after each battle. Nothing on these cars are really diffecult, timing belts included... just plan on everything taking 2-3 times longer and don't be in a pinch where you "need" the car the next day... as what can go wrong, usually does as you bond with your rig.

My .02 cents

P.S.: I spent 4 days this spring in Astoria to get away, stayed at the Cannery Inn at end of pier, fantastic hotel (almost $200 night) and what a great town. I was there 2 years prior for the Subaru show and wanted to go back when I had more time... Sitting over here in the desert, the ocean and tourist attractions was such a great change before it gets too busy with summer traffic. I went out at Gearhart ? (by golf course) and ran my Brat up and down the Beach... ahhhh... I hate the desert.

Edited by Indrid cold

where is the coolant temp sensor located? I knew i was right with the 3-door term, the chumps down at the local NAPA said it could only be a wagon, sedan, or hatchback. And i tried to explain to them that the owners manuel says 3-door and they wouldnt have it.

Unless you are buying body parts (like tail lights, or doors) Then just always tell them it's a wagon. That way you will get EA82 parts.

If you get parts for a Hatch, yyou will get the wrong parts every time.

Welcome!

I'll be down in Astoria all weekend for my high school reunion.

Cool town, I grew up there.

I was bummed they closed reservoir road up to pipeline.

Might have to go wheeling out in Knappa if we can't find an open gate around Astoria.

They really locked that place up tight. I checked 1/2 a dozen roads we used to drive up into the mainline maze with. All locked.

Even the rock pit above Multnoma Falls was closed. We'll find a way in, we always do.

See you on the trail.

Keep an eye out for us this weekend.

april2009017.jpgsoob001.jpg

where is the coolant temp sensor located? I knew i was right with the 3-door term, the chumps down at the local NAPA said it could only be a wagon, sedan, or hatchback. And i tried to explain to them that the owners manuel says 3-door and they wouldnt have it. but what other things would i checj out once i'm in there replacing the timing belst?

AND THANKS FOR WELCOMING ME TO THE BOARD! love it so far.

Yeah, chumps. I've tried ordering by the engine code (EA81 or EA82, and that really throws most parts stores off...

Make sure you get a whole set that includes a new idler pulley and tensioners when you replace the timing belt. On a car this old, those are probably worn out too, and will shred a perfectly good timing belt (BTDT...)