Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 96 impreza has a original cassette /radio..,but I would like to use a factory unit, plug and play, so how many other years and models fit.. If worse case, I have factory 99 jeep wrangler unit I could Mickey in...Thats worst case.... Any help would be great..........

really easy - just about any 1993-2005-ish Subaru stereo is plug and play except the SVX. the Impreza WRX double DIN 6 dash in disc changers are nice. 6 CD's, tape deck for easy i-pod or phone input, and readily available. be very careful with the really late model stuff though, Subaru did change the pin-outs in some late models...that's why i put "2005-ish".

• 4 weeks later...

I have found a cd/radio unit. :banana: They tell me it is about 2 inches tall , it was from a 2002 Impreza , Didn't think to ask if if it was a WRX but I don't think so.. The salvage yard said they don't think it will fit, and the dealer couldn't tell if it would work.: -\ They are only able to give what was used in that 96 Impreza for a couple years before and after. they did tell me that the CD player was a seperate unit under the radio for 96. .... But I am hoping that Subaru made their 2002 unit as one cdplayer/radio and it will fit where the radio/cassette unit was . I am going to pull mine today and check the plugins, call the yard on Monday and compare the units over the phone. The yard is out of state so I want to be sure....

Thanks for all the help......:banana:

The 2002-2007 WRX unit is one whole unit that fits in the double DIN spot.

Apologize for jumping into this thread, but will this DD unit also fit into a 93 Legacy? I just bought one (the Legacy that is), and would love to put something better in it too. Looks like a lot less space though... :confused:

Are the harnesses also different, or did they use the same harness for most stereos?

Crutchfield. Just enter your cars info and select a Head unit for your car and note the part number in the shopping cart for the wiring harness. Then enter the year of the car you are getting a Factory Head unit from. Compare part numbers and your in. My two cents is that buying an aftermarket for the 96 is the way to go. I like the Sony's with the AUX in and or USB in. I takes about 30 minutes to install. Then you have options you know.

Thanks Mentis, That is great. The pics are good .

Now, I think when I get the hang of using this message board and researching want we need ,we will have the some of best info we can get, the hard part for me is not to get to impatient, and get only part of the info , so I have to read more, much more.... Thanks :)

Thanks Mentis, That is great. The pics are good .

Now, I think when I get the hang of using this message board and researching want we need ,we will have the some of best info we can get, the hard part for me is not to get to impatient, and get only part of the info , so I have to read more, much more.... Thanks :)

No problem ^_^. I have this unit in my 87 wagon, but I just bought a 93 legacy. So I'll be wanting to do a swap, which I'm expecting to be a completely pain. I had to have the unit custom wired into my 87, so that's going to be tricky!

By the way, I just found an even better pinout for the 02 wrx unit! Someone on the NASIOC forums put this together, and did a great job too ^_^... http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/WRX-pinout.htm

EDIT: Incidentally, that guy also sells the harnesses for these units... http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/Ordering.htm :D

Edited by mentis

Great info.:). I recieved the CD /radio this morn, and just installed it, fit like a glove, excellent......Finally got the proper lug nuts to run my new to me dodge shadow gol colored snowflake rims and eagle RSA 1/2 good . Going for a ride with my wife to get ice cream .mmmmmm much appreciate the help on the wiring .:banana::banana:

• 1 month later...

Well , Folks my CD from the salvage yard stopped working , when it got below freezing . Called them .They said bring it back an we will replace it . So got in the car drove for 3 1/2 hrs they gave me an other one , it did not work.

So they went looking and found a 6 CD player from a WRX . Paid an extra 100 bucks , total of 200 , and it fit like it was always there, sounds good too. The salvage yard counter guy said it would not fit , but I knew what to look for because of help from this USMB .

Congrats! ^_^ I'm still waiting to install mine... got everything sitting there and prepped to go. Only thing I'm missing is one of those dang illumination wires, and the guy I got the other parts from isn't responding to my emails. I guess it's not worth doing business for one tiny little cheap wire :(.

Trying to think of where else I could get the wire for the harness... tried some local shops but nobody carries individual parts like that :banghead:.

For anyone going about a radio/CD player swap, I'd second the recommendation for Crutchfield. My wife has '99 Forester. Got a Pioneer radio/CD from Crutchfield and had trouble with the install. Got one of their techs on the phone to walk me through my trouble spots and got the unit installed in a snap.

When purchasing a unit from them, Crutchfield provides detailed directions and a wiring harness to match the radio to the car. And seeing as their prices are pretty good, I'll happily buy from them again when we get around to expanding our 'fleet' of vehicles.

Call me one satisfied customer!