Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Very easy. It's on the drivers side between the timing belt cover and beside the oil filler tube and the dipstick tube. Right there on top. Disconnect the connector and one bolt (8 or 10mm - I forget).

Make sure they didn't say Crank shaft sensor. I little more difficult and sometimes they get corrosion in there pretty good.

I friend of mine has been told he needs a new cam shaft sensor.[...]

If the diagnosis was based solely on getting a P0340 (and possibly P0341) code, the problem could be the sensor, but just as easily might indicate a bad connection. You might want to check connector E15 (at the sensor) and connectors E1/B20 (6-pin at the rear of the engine, passenger side) for contamination.

that's how they roll. it's based on their book times, which probably say to remove stuff that doesn't need to be removed (and the mechanics wont' on a well known part like this).

probably also charged diagnostic fees - read code, clear code, etc.

might have been the crank sensor those prices were for - that takes 20 minutes instead of 10!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: