Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy, 150K miles, 2.2L, auto

Just replaced the radiator and did a tuneup (plugs, wires, coil). It's a little rough in places (oil leaks, dents and such) but all in all seems solid.

I get 16mpg in city only so plan to replace O2 sensor, might help with MPG.

subaru_front.jpg

subaru_left.jpg

subaru_right.jpg

Edited by etc

I know, I know -- I need to put wheel covers back on to avoid that ghetto look.

I was just checking brakes and stuff. The front ones are OK but the rear ones, well I could not figure out how to access them, the plate just wouldn't come off.

I don't know, the ghetto look is kinda' in right now! :lol: Anyway, good looking ride. You'll love your Subie. I'd recently gotten a '98 Legacy sedan, gave it a little TLC, and now wherever I go people are amazed that it's 11 years old and is in such great condition. Have fun with it.

Suggest replacing the PCV valve. It is an easy and inexpensive swap out. A new one can help get more mpg. Do you have a check engine light that"s on? Pull the codes if so. The codes would tell you if you need a new 02 sensor.

Regarding the back brakes.......I assume they are disk brakes? If so, spray with penetrating oil or PB blaster, then wait several hours before trying to wrench off. If bolts still won't break loose, then heat with a propane torch. Good Luck, nice buy! I am nosy.......how much did you give for it?

nice car, i think i saw that one for sale last week, CL maybe? should be good for another 100,000 miles easily if you want to maintain it.

i'd have the transmission fluid flushed or changed a few times, a lot of older cars have never had this done. folks change the oil every 3,000 but never the trans fluid !(#)$$####!!! what? anyway, i'd be more concerned with having the ATF flushed than the poor mpg right now.

that may be a base model with drum brakes. the drums have two threaded holes for M8x1.25 threaded metric bolts. thread the bolts in and turn them. actually rotors usually have the same holes. be warned, it almost always ruins the bolts due to rust inside the holes, so trash them when you're done so you don't try and reuse them in a place that will damage the hole threads later.

being drum brakes they're likely in great shape...all depends how it was driven of course. i pulled the drums off my 1997 OBS with the intention of replacing them since i've never checked them and i've put 70,000+ miles on the car since buying it. the shoes were hardly any different than new ones (took them with me to the store). so i just turned the drums and didn't bother replacing them.

a front brake job might help improve your mpg. not the pads or rotors, but properly greasing the calipers helps them pull off and not ride the rotors so much. most 10+ year old cars have poorly lubed caliper slides because mechanics don't grease them, they get paid for brake jobs and being fast.

of course there's a ton of things that might improve mpg....in general city driving isn't good for mpg. i used to drive from Westminster to Greenbelt every day, i know what traffic around there is like!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Suggest replacing the PCV valve. It is an easy and inexpensive swap out. A new one can help get more mpg. Do you have a check engine light that"s on? Pull the codes if so. The codes would tell you if you need a new 02 sensor.

Regarding the back brakes.......I assume they are disk brakes? If so, spray with penetrating oil or PB blaster, then wait several hours before trying to wrench off. If bolts still won't break loose, then heat with a propane torch. Good Luck, nice buy! I am nosy.......how much did you give for it?

Thanks for advice, I will try that....

I paid $1200 for it at a dealer only auction, then 500 bucks to the dealer as he fee, then a few hundred in misc fees and about 400 for parts (radiator and water pump / timing belt that I haven't installed yet and not sure I will)

Total close to $2500.

I think it sat for a while. It still needs drive drums looked at in the tail housing (The infamous torque bind problem)

All in all I could have gotten same or better deal on FeeBay -- there are plenty of manual tranny models available with lower miles and better condition and more options (this one is completely stripped without even a tach), in that price range. However this one is for a family member who must have an automatic and it's a perfect first car. If it lasts a couple of years I am happy.

I tell you, the engine feels very strong after the tune-up I did. I got the coil thanks to the UltimateSubaru forums and it fixed my check engine light to my delight.

Edited by etc