Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New BRAT owner

Hi All,

Long time lurker. Been interested in picking up an older Subaru for a while as a fun runabout/project car and I joined the board about a year and a half ago to do research and to keep an eye on your "cars for sale" section.

This past weekend, I picked up a 1983 Turbo BRAT at a very reasonable price because it has some mystery engine issues, including a leak that looks like the unholy mixture of oil and coolant. Haven't really dug into it yet; don't need to hurry as it can stay put away for a while.

My daily driver for the past 6 years is a 2000 Impreza RS coupe. The motor is still stock EJ251 with almost 110k miles on it. I've done plenty to it otherwise, including brakes, suspension and body trim. And air horns. :grin:

I'm looking forward to getting the BRAT up and running. I'm appreciating in advance all the great info you guys have stored up on here. It allegedly has A/C, which would be nice to have here in Vegas, but I didn't get it for comfort. I got it for its awesomeness.

Cheers!

Oh, and pictures:

GC8_AT5_20090802_00112.jpg

GC8_AT5_20090802_00113.jpg

GC8_AT5_20090802_00128.jpg

GC8_AT5_20090802_0018.jpg

Edited by 555jay

Hey that Brat looks great. :D

I might be crazy but I am going to look at an 1980 tomorrow. Not too familiar with these so I am not sure what to look closely at.

Back in the day it was felt that the Subaru was indestructable. Anyway this one has a/c and 4wheel drive, not sure if all did. 151K miles, one owner.

I need a fresh project to work on and this might be the one.

If you have a chance let me know what I might check regarding Subaru issues.

sparx