Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hopefully someone will have an idea. I'm out of them.

1986 gl-10 turbo.

took out the turbo engine and went back with multi port. no problem....

Started it up. Engine wouldn't run. Fuel pump bad. changed it. still engine wouldn't idle. just start and die. took timing covers back off and rechecked cam timing. So got it narrowed to a fuel problem. Spray fuel injector cleaner in intake and she took off and run like a champ. At this point I', stoked. Change fuel pressure regulator. Now I just know it's gonna run. 400 rpm's and if i give it gas it just falls on its face. Strai wired the pump to run all the time instead of cycling to try and get better pressure. no improvemint.

finally pinched return line in tw o on back side of pressure regulator and give it the gas and vroom vroom does good. unpinch line and if you keep it revved up it will do good but if you let rpm's drop it will die.

still won't idle.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 years later...

I might be off-base here, and wrong, however, I believe that turbo engines are lower compression engines than non-turbos. It's the same reason you really can't slap a turbo on a non-turbo engine. The lower compression compensates for the boost.

At least that was my experience with my 91 jetta turbo diesel. Again, I'm just again diving back into subaru's, but I believe that you may need the turbo for that engine to run.

the preshure regulators like to get rusted up internaly and dont work that well also sounds like mabee one tooth off on disstibutor or vacume leak might be different mas airflow sensor turbo to non also check the wire conector on water temp sensor is bad for geting damaged and cotrols most of your cold warmup make sure that the two diagnostic conectors are disconected unless seting timing theese conectors when conected will keep the engine at 0 timing when pluged in