Ultimate Subaru Message Board

78-81 H6 Brat???????

Hey I have been toying with the idea of getting a project together because I have started classes for auto technician and would like to have something to do. With that said I have been thinking of trying to do a H6 into a first generation? brat(ones with the round headlights) I dont know whether it could even fit in the engine bay. And if that will not work I have heard of people doing the 2.2 swap into the which seems like it could be pretty straight forward. What about a ej22t? That would fit aw well right? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

H6 into a brat has been done. tight, tight fit and typically i think the radiator is moved and there might even be some cutting/pounding to make it fit.

You can basically do whatever you want. You can install a big block V8 and tank tracks on it if you want (probably already been done, i've seen both of those in other old school subaru's), just a matter of your skills, time, expenses, etc.

An EJ would be the simplest endeavor with a turbo being a fine option. Personally the EJ22 would be a great motor in such a small car, I'd go with installing a turbo on the non turbo EJ22 under low boost if more power was what I was after. EJ22's are cheap, easy to find, and take well to low boost if done properly.

The gen 1's aren't big enough for an H6 of any kind. Without major modifications to the frame rails and relocating the radiator, etc. Not worth the trouble.

EJ22 would be good but no one makes an adaptor plate for the top-mount starter so you would be looking at a trans swap as well - minimum of the 5 speed D/R.

There aren't any x-member's for the gen 1's designed for turbo exhaust systems so the exhaust would be tricky with a turbo.

5 speed + EJ22 non-turbo is *probably* doable - the radiator still might be in the way though. The gen 1's are tiny, tiny little things - even the '81 GL with the EA81 required a different x-member and steering linkage to clear the sligtly larger 1.8 vs. the 1.6..... anything is a tight fit in them.

GD

Hey thanks for the responses. I know the gen 1 brat are tiny thats why I like them so much. I figured it would be a tight fit, but wasnt to sure of how tight. It seems like the h6 is a little too big of a project for me, but the ej22 might be possible. With the tranny swap I figured i would have to do that but was hoping that they made and adapter plate. There are adapter plates for the gen 2 brats and ej22 right? But anyways would a standard impreza tranny fit in the brat. Or would you have to go with a dual range because that is what the brat had originally. As for the turbo I have heard that the ej22 take to low boost really well and that is probably what I might want to do. Im not looking for mass amounts of power but a little bit more power is always nice. Would the exhaust system be a little easier to do if you use side pipes?? I have seen quite a few with the side exhaust but dont know whether that is just cosmetic or what. Thanks again for the responses

Greg

side pipes won't make the exhaust any easier.

i would plan on doing the job and adding the turbo later, it's not a hard add on.

i don't know anything about brats, sorry. i know someone that had an H6 in his, guess it was a newer one with more room or something?

might want to search on EJ swap info here and read some of others experiences with EJ's into brats now that you know where you might be headed.

With the tranny swap I figured i would have to do that but was hoping that they made and adapter plate. There are adapter plates for the gen 2 brats and ej22 right?

The adapter plates that have been designed thus far are only for going from the '81+ side-starter EA series bell-housing to the side-starter EJ bell-housing. They are actually VERY similar and the mod works because they went to a thin, flat flywheel on the EJ's and the EA flywheel is a thick, heavy affair. Thus you can add the 1/2" of adaptor plate, use the thick EA flywheel on the EJ engine, and come out with a combination that works very well.

The top-mount starter bell-housing are simply not condusive to adapting - and those transmissions only came in single range. The only Gen 1 Brat to have a dual-range transmission was the (rare) '81 GL. All other's had 4WD high range only.

But anyways would a standard impreza tranny fit in the brat. Or would you have to go with a dual range because that is what the brat had originally

A dual-range 4 speed would probably fit the best but there's good reasons to not want one of those. The 5 speed would be doable - it would almost certainly require some mods to the trans tunnel sheet metal to fit without a body lift.

As for the turbo I have heard that the ej22 take to low boost really well and that is probably what I might want to do. Im not looking for mass amounts of power but a little bit more power is always nice. Would the exhaust system be a little easier to do if you use side pipes?? I have seen quite a few with the side exhaust but dont know whether that is just cosmetic or what.

Greg

The turbo would be a pain to fit as there was never a Gen 1 engine cross-member that would allow the up-pipe to reach the turbo. You could do some really oddball exhaust work and make it function but it's going to be really strange - might have to locate the turbo on top of the engine or under it - maybe up front near the radiator. And I'm still pretty sure the radiator will not clear an EJ22 crank nose without mods as well.

Side pipes? I'm not following what you are asking. The exhaust has to run to a collector and through the turbo so you are going to have a single outlet exhaust system with any single-turbo system you might come up with. If you are talking about running the exhaust out the side behind the wheels or something.... yeah you can do that but it doesn't buy you anything. All the exhaust problems are forward of the engine cross-member and inside the engine bay. After you exit the turbo it's down and straight out the back where the stock muffler is located now - that's the easy part.

A gen II Brat would be MUCH easier. They made engine cross-members in '83 and '84 for turbo exhaust, and basically the EJ22(T) is a bolt-in with the right adapter.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Hey thanks for all the input. I did not realize how complicated it could be with the gen 1 brats for swaps. I have been toying with the idea of putting a bit of a lift on it which seems to help with the issue of clearance with a 5 speed swap. None the less it seems like a fair amount of work. I wish i was a little more into the 2nd gen brats because their easier to work with. I do need to look around some more and do a little bit more research as far as swaps go. As far as rebuilding the original engine, is it worth it are there any engine modifications to help get a little extra power. Better connecting rods, Piston heads? ect. Yet again thanks for all the input.

Greg

• 5 years later...