Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Under Constrution (Pic)

kellyray

Here's a pic of my brat that i have been working on. Ive got 15 inch wheels on it. The tires are 215/75/r15 on the front, i don't have them on the back yet.

I also cut the fender on the driver side only so far. I plan on putting a fender flare on it if i can find one that fits.

I have been wanting to lift this thing and have posted a few time about it.

The Boss or The Beast I Drive could either one of yall help me out with this with just some tips on how to do it?

Thanks guys,

KO

IMG00113.jpg

IMG00114.jpg

Edited by kellyray

How high do you want to go with it? Im planning on making some 4" lifts soon, I helped Jayare12 fix the camber issues he had with the back of his Brat and I have a bunch of Brats here to play with. Where are you located? If you are anywhere close to Toppenish, WA maybe you could come by and we can get that all set up and Ill make you a great deal on a lift for being my guinea pig :grin: I already make Gen 2 and Gen 3 lifts, but I havent done a complete Gen 1 lift yet... Also, how soon do you want it? Im pretty busy until after WCSS 11 what with getting the Beast ready for Evans Creek and makin some parts for a few other guys...

-Bill

Thanks for the fast reply. By no means am i in any kind of hurry. And i live in Texas in the waco area. I probably wouldnt want to buy a lift. Buy it from you and shipping probably would be a pretty penny. I would probably just have to make my own and i was hoping to get some info on this form how to.

Is there a extreme difference in difficulty between a 4inch lift and a 6 inch?

just for giggles what would be a rough guess on what a lift cost me?

thanks

KO

For being the prototype/test mule I could do you a 4" lift for $200, a 6" for $300, just because I need someone to try them out and say "wow, this is great stuff!"

The most difficult part is really just figuring the angles in the rear, Ive done enough fronts that they aren't a problem. The rears are different because of the angle the outer torsion bar mounts sit at.

On a side note, you will need some kind of spacers for the rear wheels or they will rub on the control arms, Gen 1's have the least amount of backspace from the hub surface of any of the EA series cars, about a 1" spacer should do the trick with Toyota offset wheels...

-Bill

well that sounds cheap. the fronts are not hard to do? Ill think about doing that prototype thing. I just wish i could find someone that would tell me how to do it and whats the easiest and where to start that way its really cheap for me. But on the other hand the 200 bucks doesnt sound bad.

do you happen to have any EA81s for sale or and dual range 4wd tranny that would fit my brat?

thanks for your time.

kelly O

not gonna lie, that looks pretty sweet as it is. Minus the fact the rear tires are a tad smaller... how do those 215's fit as far as turning? I am working on a simple 2 inch lift before I buy some tires and I'm a bit worried about the rubbing when turning possibility.

I have a 2inch lift with 235/70 r14s toyo a/ts on an 82 wagon and I had to cut into the fenders a bit. The rears fit fine, no cutting but its close. On the front I had to pound the firewall a lot and the cut on the firewall side doesn't seem so grace full. It had to go all the way back to the firewall and I had to pound the pinchweld flat. I wouldn't go 14s again. There is no selection. The tires are 26.5". If I were to do it again, I would go 3" in the front, 2" in the rear.

Edited by Yo'J

Gwilson87,

I have to get more tires so i can put the ones on the back. But it wasnt too hard to get the tires on there without rubbing. Dont get me wrong there was a couple of evenings beating the inner fender wall in. lol. But i thought that it makes the brat look like its got some attitude without lifting it.

Cutting the fender i just cut right above the factory flare. it gave me plenty of room and didnt turn out half bad. There is a bolt for the fender right under the little crome piece of trim.(lower by the door) thats where i started the cut so i didnt make it too weak. I still have to do some touching up.

I can turn all the way without it rubbing. If you like i can post some pics of it.

Let me know,

Kelly O

PS the wheel isnt staying that color lol i bought them really cheap from a friend.

If anyone is a poor boy that wants to mess with a brat and make cheap mods ill do my best to help you out because i know exactly how you feel.