Ultimate Subaru Message Board

scuba diving in a GL

Markus56

You could take something the diameter you want the hole to be and then trace that onto the fender. You could start with a hole saw and cut a hole slightly smaller than what you need, then use an angle grinder to finish the job. That might work, or do as I did and have a friend use a plasma cutter to cut the hole out and use an angle grinder to smooth out the edges until you have a nice round hole. The inner fender hole doesn't have to look as nice.

I also finished it off with some self adhesive door edge trim. I have some extra, so I should have sent that with the snorkel!

Picture%20309.jpg

Now here comes the money maker...

K&N wants 250 dollars for the dgv air filter adapter. :mad:

thats crap.

what have people used to get around this problem?

is there an air filter from another car that would fit with a some modification?

Pringles can and duct tape! J/K!

tifi-mmmpringles.jpg

Actually the snorkel I sent to you used to be on my car when it had the stock 1.8L Fuel Injected EA82T. That made it easy to plumb a hose to the snorkel and then put the air filter on the top of the snorkel. Since you're carb'ed, that makes it a bit more difficult without the K&N plenum adapter. Is this the adapter you are looking at? It says it's only $200. Not cheap, but at least $50 less than what you were looking at.

http://store.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=85-1060

85-1060.jpg

Let me know what you come up with. It would be great to hear what others have done so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.