Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have over 108,000 miles on this car( plus a used trans installed:mad:) I was wondering how urgent is it to get the timing belt replaced at 120,000 miles( I replaced the original at 61,000 miles. I guess my point is I am not sure if I want to pay for the service if I will eventually sell this car. I don't plan on keeping it past 10 years. I had a 96 Legacy Wagon 2.2 that was great for 11 years, just basic upkeep (replaced it with a 2009 Mazda 3 Hatch). At 12 years the car just seemed to fall apart and it became a major headache and money pit. Any suggestions or advise on the timing belt change would be greatly appreciated.

thanks...

Yikes, I changed it according to my 96 Legacy 2.2 schedule. The experieced Subaru mechanic neglected to tell me. I wonder if they even changed it. The shop is run by an experienced former Subaru dealership mechanic. Is there any way of determing if the original belt is still on there? I feel like I have been hosed. I do have the receipt of the timing belt supposedly being changed. I guess that would be ammunition if the belt snaps( I don't want that though).

Edited by crowheart
mistake

Yes I just found out. I guess I got ripped from a shop I have been using for quite a while. Can it be determined if the belt was actually changed?

This shop is micro-managed by a former Subaru dealership mechanic. He knows the schedule. I screwed up and just thought that the schedule was the same as my 96 Legacy 2.2 which is every 60,000 miles. I got to hunt for another Subaru mechanic now. I am frigging pissed.

I guess I got ripped from a shop I have been using for quite a while . . . . I am frigging pissed.

Go talk to him. let him know how displeased you are. Unless you flat out demanded that 60k timing belt change he might try to do right by you down the road. If he's a smart businessman, that is.

Can it be determined if the belt was actually changed?

if you are selling it it does not matter, the belt is good.

now you may be able to get some consideration from the shop in the future. but think of it this way, how many car salesmen are going to ask "WHY" when you walk in and say you want to buy a car. yes mechanics are different, but still there must be some owners who don't drive over 55 and who change there oil at 2000 miles. if you order a timing belt you get a timing belt. that's way better than paying for one and not getting it.

and now you get to sell your car and not feel guilty about it needing a belt or having to pay for the service now.