Ultimate Subaru Message Board

should I swap MPFI engine into carbed wagon?

Subafly

ok I have a good 92 ea82 MPFI and an 85 ea82 carbed wagon with a bad motor. The guy Im getting it from said its all fubar inside. Should I just swap out the good block from the MPFI making a good carbed motor, or put the whole MPFI in the 85 wagon, which is in beautiful shape which is why I wanna save it. So tear the whole engine apart or rewire? I think it might be less headache swaping the blocks but it would beal cool to have 92 MPFI in an 85 wagon. Any thoughts? This will be my first large project as well.

Thanks

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

personal preference. i bought a kubota without a carb and i absolutely love this machine that starts all the time, sits all winter, starts right up in the spring, never needs cleaning, never needs adjusting, never needs rebuilding, and idles smooth all the time and they retain their value (no wonder) and run forever. i wish i would have bought one a long time ago.

but if you don't mind the minor hitches of antiquated technology then tear it up, it is simple enough. it would certainly be much simpler than an entire MPFI swap, all that wiring sounds daunting. having a back up vehicle for a daily driver would be nice in that case.

i'm guessing the carb project might be cheaper too, no worries about sensors, ECU's or anything like that you might break or need in the process.

if you need any help bri, just call.we have to schedule time,but it can be done ya'know.:)i would go ej if i were you though.same amount of wiring basically.and you can do it in steps.

we can go to pull and save and get the wiring harness.its like 20 bucks.it just takes like 2 hours to pull.then you can cut it up while your trying to find an engine.

etc...anyways. cheers, brian