Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5-lug gen1 brat. yup... for realsies

Zefy

yup...some of you might remember me hinting at this over the last 3 years. well here it is.

IMGP0009.jpg

IMGP0013.jpg

IMGP0019-1.jpg

IMGP0016-1.jpg

so it's all in. needs more bracing for me to be happy but my method seems to work. will update more as it gets done. i hope it works...:rolleyes:

the stock stuff is a torsion bar setup similar to the ea81 except it is in two pieces. here is one side after i took it out. this one has disc brakes from an RX on it. The diff mounts to a mustache bar just like the ea81's and the gas tank is above it.

IMGP3318.jpg

now you know what you are tripping over. :P

• 2 weeks later...
I thought the rear was the easy part.:lol: What are you doing about the front?

front is easier. sort of... front is expencive...:rolleyes:

you need a different set of control arms. i got ones from crossbread performance in AUS. They let an ej knuckle/balljoint fit in an old gen control arm.

beyond that, you need to either redrill/reinforce the strut tops or make a custom tophat for an ej style strut. i opted for a mishmash of both. Also a standard impreza spring doesn't fit into the tower. So you have to get a coilover style springpack. I am running rally spec hotbits coilovers.

next thing you gotta sort out is the tie rod ends. OEM brat tie rods (inners and outers) fit into an impreza knuckle but the toe is all wrong. The tires are driving into each other. So you can swap in EJ outer tie rods. yup, they fit just fine. BUT! now you're to wide... So my solution is to run a modified set of ej outer tie rods (shortened and sleaved) but it is still not enough. So i'm going to shorten a bit of the brat inner rods.

The axles are custom xt6 axles. I'm running an RX turbo transmission so i have 25 spline shafts. The shafts were shortened by rguyver. They have the correct inners and correct outers for an ej knuckle (in my case, 2.5rs) and they are the correct length to match the control arms.

i'll post pics later.

Your loyal is substantially wider than the brat so I doubt that the same stuff would work.

I also don't want to max out the tie rod as it is weaker.

With that in mind, I'm sure there is some odd ball combo of inners and outers to give me my desired result however it is physically cheaper and easier to just cut stuff up.

Your loyal is substantially wider than the brat so I doubt that the same stuff would work.

that's what I mean. if the EA81 stuff works in my loyale......I bet it would work better in a gen 1

either way, you wouldn't be the first to cut some length out of an EJ rod end. WJM cut an inch or so out of his when he did the 5-lug on his RX.

so your brat, has the whole rear under side of a liberty (ej).

nothing cut/re-joined? how is it bolted to the body (maybe some pic's)?

sorry for the questions i just cant wrap my head around it... could this (with other slight mods) be adapted to work on L's?