Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Soobie won't start trying to trouble shoot

My 1996 Subaru wagon (155K) stalled out the other day on the side of a road. I was on my way to work so I just left it there to go back later on during the week. So between yesterday and today I am trying to trouble shoot the problem. I check the engine codes and I get a Camshaft sensor code, so I replace it however once I go to start the car the engine won't even turn over so I assume it is a dead battery, so I take the battery to my local mechanic for a charge. Today I go to throw the fully charged battery in and again the car won't turn over.

Here is what I am perplexed about, prior to me checking the engine codes and getting the cam shaft sensor the car would turn over but wouldn't start but then afterwards when I replaced it the car wouldn't even turn over, so what I did was reinsert the old cam shaft sensor to see if my new part was any good and again still the car would not turn over. I do not suspect that it is the starter, my guess is that there is no juice getting from the battery to wherever it needs to go to make the car turn over. I even installed the battery from my other car thinking that the Subaru battery was no good even with a charge but again the car wouldn't turn over. Keep in mind the accessory position works fine (i.e. radio and lights work). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance and sorry for my non mechanic grammar, I just know very basic stuff about cars hence my need for help!!!

I do not suspect that it is the starter, my guess is that there is no juice getting from the battery to wherever it needs to go to make the car turn over.

Roamer, what happens when you turn the key to start? Do you hear the "click" of the solenoid engaging the starter's gear? If so it could be that the copper contacts inside the solenoid are worn or burnt and are not making contact.

For your sake I rather hope that's the case--it's not too difficult or expensive to fix.

Assuming the cam sensor itself is good, an engine that quits for no apparent reason coupled with a cam sensor code often equals a snapped timing belt. The lack of cranking can have several causes, including operator/''technician'' error, failed neutral/inhibitor switch, a part ''borrowed'' while car was left on NYC street, ...

Roamer, what happens when you turn the key to start? Do you hear the "click" of the solenoid engaging the starter's gear? If so it could be that the copper contacts inside the solenoid are worn or burnt and are not making contact.

For your sake I rather hope that's the case--it's not too difficult or expensive to fix.

I do hear the click, but then thats it, I do not think it is a starter issues b/c prior to me pulling the engine code, I tried to start the car and it would turn over until the battery died. I had my head gaskets and timing belt replaced back in January, could it be a snapped timing belt so early?

I do hear the click, but then thats it, I do not think it is a starter issues b/c prior to me pulling the engine code, I tried to start the car and it would turn over until the battery died.

Your starter may be fine--it's just not getting the electricity to turn. The copper contacts in the solenoid are a known weakness in Subies. Replacing them is a relatively easy and very inexpensive thing to do. I still think it's the first thing I'd try.

A test you might try first: Give the starter a couple of sharp raps with a piece of 2X4 or the butt end of a hammer handle while someone holds the key in "start." Sometimes that will loosen the contacts enough to make at least a momentary contact.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.