Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 static timing question

when static timing the ea81 when I get my #1 cylinder at TDC where exactly is the rotor supposed to point on the engine. Is it like most vehicles where it points to the #1 cylinder, or does it point elsewhere? I have done a weber swap and tossed on an ea82 manifold so I have flipped the bracket thats bolts to the distributor over so my numbers on the distributor cap arent really relevant anymore. I was sure I had marked the last position of the rotor and dropped the distributor back in the same position but I cannot get it to turn over completely, i have also changed the plug wires to where it looks like they should be with the new distributor position. I can get a pic of it too, if anyone needs it for reference.

well, I had it dead on before. Just went and static timed it and its great. but still wont fire. I know i got spark from the coil. my compression is #1-179 #2-170 #3-173 #4-170 I have new plugs in there, less than 10 miles on them. But tomorrow, ill pull the plugs out one by one and see if they got spark by grounding them on the block. The damn thing seems like it wants to run, but just doesnt.

nope no backfiring. Im kind of thinking now that the plugs have fouled somehow, I did get a little coolant/water in the cylinder head after removing the ea81 manifold to swap in the ea82 manifold, but I cranked the motor with the plugs out and absolutely no fuel going to it and got most the water out then I hooked a small hose up to a wet/dry shop vac and sucked the rest of the coolant/water out with that.

maybe the weber is running to lean or rich to get it to fire correctly, what is the base setting for a weber with the mixture screw?

what is the base setting for a weber with the mixture screw?

Mixture screw is only for idle mixture - base setting is 2.5 turns out from bottomed.

I still think your timing is off. Are you sure you got the fireing order correct and in counter-clockwise order starting from 1? The distributor rotates counter-clockwise which is not intuitive.... at least for me. I have to get it straight in my head every time I do it.

GD

according to doing the static timing Im right on except for the vacuum advance, but I cant really set that until I get the car running. I have the plug wires in correct order with rotor pointing at #1 plug wire at 8*BTDC which I found (thanks to you GD) via #1 piston TDC on compression stroke then backed the flywheel to the 8* mark. and then on the disty cap going counter-clockwise to 3then2then4 then back to #1 plug wire. the engine is cranking and has the sound that the timing is right, but since it wont fire im thinking it has something to do with the spark plugs now. My auto choke is functioning properly, I am getting fuel. Im pretty sure I have no vacuum leak(cant get good reading because engine wont run yet), all vacuum lines (brake booster, heater and vacuum advance hooked properly) PCV system correctly hooked up. all ground surfaces have been sanded down for good ground and all ground wires are hooked up and in good condition.

there is one vacuum line coming from drivers side firewall that I dont have hooked up, the charcoal canister in the front fender said it was for fuel, should that be hooked to the manifold or can I leave it just sitting there?

I triple checked the firing order and which way the rotor spins before I even tried to fire it up. but tomorrow, like i said, I will check to see if I get any spark to each individual plug. And I do get spark thru my coil. I also use a remote starter so i can be under the hood while I crank it over, and I do have the ignition in the "ON" position.

ok gd you got it right turned out to be a timing issue, 1 tooth off on the distributor...got it running f'n sweet now, cept at 8* BTDC it dont like, it likes 10* BTDC. which im cool with. now my new problem is a sticky gas pedal at 1/8th or so throttle, it catches then I put extra pressure and it breaks past the sticky point and is smooth after that, but I got a old ea82 wagon Im going to take the gas pedal assembly out of and see if that fixes it up right. has anyone had this situation? it looks rusty and there is what looks like tar all over the floorboards (which im guessing is either adhesive for carpet or a sound deadener that has turned rotten) which may have gotten into the gas pedal assembly. any ideas or just swap the spare from the parts car over.

Im gonna unhook the throttle cable pedal side and see how it feels just pulling that by hand and check the pedal assembly with it unhooked from the cable too. and i know this thread is jumpin round alot, but my speedo isnt steady, would that be a loose connection on the gauge or tranny side or just faulty gauge that needs replacing? all other gauges work great.

Also check to make sure the throttle shaft bolt is not too tight on the weber or you will get binding. Are u using the throttle cable guide from the hitachi or the one that came on the weber?

image.php?type=P&id=1342

thats the throttle linkage kit Im using. the throttle shaft bolt is not that tight, so there is no binding there. it also did this with the stock hitachi on it. Wasnt able to re-use the hitachi linkage since I have a df weber and not a dg. I already have my replacement pedal assembly ready to go from the parts car., just have to yank mine out of my hatch. my gas pedal in the hatch also has major left to right play and this replacement assembly has very minimal play.

Edited by nolicense