Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rebuild or Replace suggestions?

So my 83 brat's #4 has pretty much given up completely. Locomotive crankcase blow-by, lovely clunking sounds, massive oil consumption and overheating as well as refusing to idle no matter how much I adjusted the carb...

While limping her home, I tried to add some oil while it was running (I didn't want to push start it AGAIN) and the crank pressure blew my first pour back into my shirt!

Anyhow I think this engine has made its last trip out of the valley. Its pretty high mileage although the other 3 cylinders look in decent shape (going to run a compression check on them tomorrow, but I suspect they're doing ok)

I'm going to query my local engine rebuilders on a price tomorrow as well, but wanted to ask on USMB for suggestions on where to go from here as there maybe some options that I'm not aware of that will get me back on the road in a cost effective manner other than a complete rebuild...This is just a commutemobile, mostly highway.

The Transmission is in great shape at least!

I don'y want to have to park it, but if its cheaper to buy some hoptie to get me to work for now until I can save some $$...so be it I guess

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Doug

PS..

Just to give you an idea of the impressive oil consumption rate...it used a quart every 80 highway miles =)

Edited by Doug_ATX

the most cost effective solution is to get a known good used engine and completely reseal it. headgaskets and all.

fel-pro permatorques for the headgaskets.

if you're doing some of the work many local machine shops can do much of the work for you - rebuild just the short block and you do the heads or possibly all of it, etc.

^^^ I don't disagree, but if the guys money is super tight, the cheapest is to take a 'known good engine' and put it right in...
he told us a bit about this project given that he's already calling around about engine rebuild prices. if he's calling about rebuilds i don't think he's trying to do this "as cheap as possible" and he's probably well aware of used options.

While I agree that it would be easiest/cheapest to just drop a "good" used motor in, the difficulty is finding one.

The local rebuild place that I've used in the past quoted me $1850, and said that he would have to get the pistons custom made?!

Edited by Doug_ATX

the pistons and rods do not need to be replaced. of course they are checked and possibly machined (reground crank, etc), but in general there's a decent chance the only parts that are needed are main and rod bearings and piston rings.

might want to check around for a few shops and find one that specializes in Subaru's? check with CCR? ask your local dealer who does their machine shop work?

might want to check with RAM performance? they are willing to do straight auto engine builds last i checked. all they do is EA81 so it'd be a drop in the bucket for them. they are nice guys.

211K on the original motor, so I'm thinking it will need more than just rings. $1800 USD is almost 4X what I payed for the her (I know, wrong argument to make on an enthusiast forum). I will keep asking around, I'm waiting for some call backs from other machine shops, etc..

Thanks for the help so far fellas :clap:

there are plenty of good ea81 motors out there, all over really. Sometimes they come with a car. I can get you a less than 100k miles long block for 135 at pick n pull.

Lots of ea81 cars in the for sale craigslist etc for 500......

get the car, and use the motor. Sell the parts, and make money.

hope i make a point.

211K on the original motor, so I'm thinking it will need more than just rings.
right on, who said anything about just rings?

Ram performance (mentioned earlier) has a rebuilt EA71 long block for only $850. Might be worth checking their price for a straight up EA81:

http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=560&linkpath=http://www.ramengines.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/partsforsale020.jpg.w560h420.jpg&target=tlx_picy73w&title=Rebuilt%20New%20EA71%20long%20block

there are plenty of good ea81 motors out there, all over really. Sometimes they come with a car. I can get you a less than 100k miles long block for 135 at pick n pull.

Lots of ea81 cars in the for sale craigslist etc for 500......

get the car, and use the motor. Sell the parts, and make money.

hope i make a point.

Where?? I might want one. Not meaning to hi-jack