Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dashboard scratches on new 2009 Outback Wagon

Has anyone got any suggestions for removing/preventing the scratch and rub marks that so easily appear on the dashboard of our new 2009 OBW? Even wiping dust off the dash seems to cause rub marks! Also, the rubber tray protecting the cargo area is susceptible to scratching and scuffing.

Our old 87 GL wagon's dashboard was made of stronger stuff, because after 22 years it had fewer marks than the new car does after only 1100 miles!

Is there a product that will minimize the appearance of these scuffs and scratches?

Surely Subaru can do better than this soft vulnerable material they're using for dashboards lately.

A suggestion--wipe the dust off with a damp sponge and let dry. Then spray a little silcone spray (I've got an aerosol can of Prestone Silicone Lubricant that's lasted me for years) on a clean rag, NOT on the vinyl itself, and wipe down the surfaces. Leaves a nice sheen that cleans up easily but is not as harsh and ugly as those "shiny" products.

A word of caution for those of you who use Armoral and silicone spray on the interiors of your car. The stuff will not just stay inside of the car. Some of it will find its way airborne onto the outside of the car. It won't be a problem until its time for some collision repairs and a visit to the paint shop. Anyone in an automotive paint shop will absolutely have a heart attack if they learn that you've used these products and not told them before hand.

Both products cause fish eyes in the surface of the paint, necessitating repainting the panel/car after stripping off the fish eyed layers and resanding the body. If the painter knows about it before he paints the car, he can mix a fisheye remover into the paint to prevent the flaws occurring.

A suggestion--wipe the dust off with a damp sponge and let dry. Then spray a little silcone spray (I've got an aerosol can of Prestone Silicone Lubricant that's lasted me for years) on a clean rag, NOT on the vinyl itself, and wipe down the surfaces. Leaves a nice sheen that cleans up easily but is not as harsh and ugly as those "shiny" products.

Is there a product that is specifically recommended as a "dressing" for the type of material used on the new dashboards? Something that won't give a body shop, or anyone else, fits later?

Has anyone got any suggestions for removing/preventing the scratch and rub marks that so easily appear on the dashboard of our new 2009 OBW? Even wiping dust off the dash seems to cause rub marks! Also, the rubber tray protecting the cargo area is susceptible to scratching and scuffing. Is there a product that will minimize the appearance of these scuffs and scratches?

Surely Subaru can do better than this soft vulnerable material they're using for dashboards lately.

I took the car yesterday to the dealer to look at the dash and they agree that there are visible marks that shouldn't be there, but act like they haven't had this complaint from anyone before.

I took the opportunity to check out the 2010 model, and noted that the new Outback has a harder vinyl for the dash than our 2009 does. A sign that Subaru recognizes the problem with the old material?

I have a 2010 Forester that I have noticed that just a touch of the hand will leave a whitish mark. I suspect it is because of the texture of the material being sandpaperish, and when a hand/finger is rubbed on the dash it "sands" off the surface skin cells, and they show up as a white smudge. I have used a product called Yamaha Spray & Clean aerosol I bought from a motorcycle dealer, but they don't carry it anymore. It cleans and leaves the finish as original, not shiny. And I have caused a couple of little scratches as well. Maybe the material used has something to do with the release of the airbag system.

Our 2006 does not have this problem, I agree that you should avoid Amourall, it degrades vinyl and results in cracking in the long term. Get Aerospace 303. Don't spray it around the car, wet a soft cloth and wipe the surfaces down with it. It wiill dry to an invisible matte finish, and 'heal' small scratches.

Good Stuff! :banana: