Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear disc brakes

I know this has already been hashed over. I found a 88 turbo wagon in a bone yard today and he quoted me $30 for the rear disc brakes, if I took them off. Will these fit on my 86 Brat without a bunch of fab work and is this a good price?

It's a GREAT price. Just make sure you grab everything. You'll need rotor and hub, caliper and brakeline, AND the backing plate. Keep the hardware too since you never know what you'll drop. Make sure the donor car is a 4WD since the 2WD backing plate and hub are different. Bring some liquid wrench or PB blaster to help with getting the backing plate off. It's a straight swap, take off the old, on with the new. Bleed the brakes and you're set to go. Just be sure to route the brakeline away from the inside of the wheel rim; you wouldn't want to rub a hole into the brakeline.

Cool!!! It's a 5sp push botton 4x4. It looks like the only thing gone from the car, is the turbo itself. I'll be going back up there tomarrow with my truck and tools instead of my bike.

While you're at it, check the rear diff. If it's a late enough '88 to be considered an '89, you might be lucky enough to find an LSD on this one. That would be a real find.

Does a 86 Brat come with a LSD? I havn't put my Brat on the road yet except a few jaunts around the neighborhood to test the drive train. It sure acts like it has a lsd. It puts up a fit when you try to turn on blacktop in 4 wheel drive. The inside back tire tries to turn as fast as the outside tire. Acts like a locked rear or a real tight posi unit, I'm preaty sure that it is a stock rear.

Isn't that turbo rear be a 3.70 or is that just for a gen1 turbo car.

The rear in the wagon will be 3.70

Being a pushbutton 4wd trans, there is about a .001% chance of it having an LSD

What your are describing in your brat is plain old 4wd bind. Happens when you try to turn in 4wd on dry pavement

Firstly, don't run in 4WD on blacktop or dry paveent; bad for the transfer case. In 4WD, the front and rear wheels are joined together through the transfer case. If the front and rear tires are not the exact same diameter, one axle will roll further than the other for each wheel revolution. Eventually, that difference causes binding in the drive train and can damage it....it needs to slip. Works fine in snow or on dirt when it can slip; but not on pavement when it can't. Now back to LSD; 86 Brats never came with LSD. However, if you find one, it can be installed once you convert it to 3.900 rear ratio from the original 3.700. That's a topic for another thread. However, some '89 Turbos came with LSD and I'd check the one you're working on for the disk brakes. Check the label on the rear and it'll give you part #, ratio, and if it's LSD will say so in large letters. LSDs are a bit rare and in great demand. Typically sell for $125 or more plus shipping here on the Board. I have a 3.900 LSD on my Brat and it is very useful on the rallycross circuit.

So, what about the rear disc conversion on say....An '84 turbo wagon???

Is the swap the same...Like just get the rear discs and swap em in??

As far as I know it's the same. I've done six already and haven't found a car that they didn't hook up to.

Pulled the brakes off today, had one axle nut torqued to about 800lbs. but other than that, it went well. The car has a build date of 7/88, and yes it has a LSD and the price is right. My buddy got called home early or I would have got it today too, I'll go back Monday and relieve that old waggon from it's acid rearend.

Sweet, get that LSD before someone else snags it. It's less than a 30 minute job if the car is up in the air. Four bolts on the driveshaft, two roll pins on the axle studs (bring the PB Blaster just in case the splines are rusted on), one big honking bolt in the front and two nuts in the back and it should just fall to the ground. Do a search and see how to convert to 3.900 or sell it on the Board--you shouldn't have any trouble finding a buyer.

I'll be there bright and early mon. for the diff., I don't think anyone would find the yard. It's a long way off the beaten path.

The rock guards are alittle bent up from setting on the ground, nothing a hammer work won't cure. The rotors look good, maybe one light pass on the break lathe just to clean them up. The pads are almost new, lots of meat.

So it seems my Brat, will have 4W disks, to help slow her down for a small pay out. Still undecided about the diff. change.

Craven,

Please ask and see if there is another one with rear disc set-up in the JY. Even though I just put in brand new rear brake shoes and all, rear disc sounds attractive at the right price.

Regards,

aba4430

That was the only Subaru in that yard besides a Justy. It's a small yard way out in the sticks. If I find any more I'll let you know, aways looking for new parts sources.

Now back to LSD; 86 Brats never came with LSD. Check the label on the rear and it'll give you part #, ratio, and if it's LSD will say so in large letters. LSDs are a bit rare and in great demand. .

Ed that's interesting.

I know of an 86 Brat that has the 3.7 LSD. I always assumed it was original, but apparently not.

I've seen a few around, and judging by the types of models (base) they've been on, I have to believe they were transplants.

Does anyone know which models the LSD's came on originally?

John

LSD's have been an option since the EA81 RX days (which incidentally, had rear discs and LSD's - but we didn't get EA81 RX's here in the US). They *could* be found under nearly anything of that vintage with a 3.7 rear end, but are most commonly found in 85-89 RX's, and in the Full Time 4WD 5 speed Turbo models of the later 80's vintage.

Brat's most definately never had them stock, and being that only the 4WD Automatics had the proper ratio rear end for the LSD, I doubt it was even an option at the dealer. Although one could certainly bolt it right in.

GD

The 88 Turbo wagon at Mikes bone yard has no rear end. Got the diff today with the axle shafts for $40. I wish he had a ton of Soobs, instead of just one.

Stopped by another yard that had a 84 Brat that was rough. The old fart wanted $20 for the fuel door. I told him, it wasn't made out of gold and said tudy luo.

Go for the rear disc conversion...I went to the yard today and got everything off a 93 Loyale...Rotors, calipers, backing plates, etc, everything for 40 bucks!

Plus I snagged a ton of random hardware off 2 different cars to make sure I had enough bolts, washers, shims, etc...

The conversion seriously took me like 40 minutes. It's WAYYYYYYYY worth it too.

Boy you guys are getting some good prices for the brake parts. Even for more, it's a worthwhile conversion. No more adjusting the brakes to take up for shoe wear and much easier to replace pads rather than shoes. They do help slow you down much better also. I have a complete set and would be willing to ship but it won't be at the prices you've been getting. Also, I've found shipping runs about $40 due to the weight of the complete setup. If anyone is interested drop me an email or PM.