Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping a AT to an MT in a 97 Leg???

its pretty straight forward. do you have the donor manual car? that helps alot. i have done that same swap to the following vehicles:

1. 1992 svx

2. 1991 legacy turbo

3. 1995 subaru impreza

4. 1997 legacy gt

make sure you don't cut any of the trans wires in the engine compartment- use donor ones that can still plug in and cut off about 4 inch from where they plug in. let me know if you run into any problems.

One of my questions for the Legacy swap, is the wiring for the clutch switches and manual transmission in place but not used?

I've done the swap on an SVX, where none of the wiring is in place, just thinking maybe it already there on the Legacy since they did come with a 5 speed???

What about the cruise control computer??

<<One of my questions for the Legacy swap, is the wiring for the clutch switches and manual transmission in place but not used?>>

the clutch switch connector is there.

you will have to find the correct pins on the a/t connectors that were unplugged under the hood and connect them to the manual tranny.

<<What about the cruise control computer??>>

not sure about that.

• 4 months later...

dave are you going through with this? i think i just decided to swap mine as well 1996 Legacy LSi from Auto to Manual. i'll definitely be wanting to figure that cruise control out too. Josh has lots of cruise control details in his write up, great job boss i've looked at it a number of times over the year, looks like i'll get to use it!

are you going with hydraulic or cable clutch? are you starting soon?

This got put on hold when the engine died. I needed a working car and swapped the engine and trans in two days. I had the 4EAT that we pulled out of the racer, and needed the car on the road...

If I keep the car, I still plan on swapping it. But as of right now I'm looking for a cheap 5-spd wagon for me, and the auto sedan can go to Melis's daughter.

As for hyd/cable it was going to depend entirely on what I found at the yard. :cool: