Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How hard is it to replace a fuel injector?

Excuse my barging in, but...

In the first article, there's a part I dont understand the reason for:

«Remove the air cleaner upper case, air flow

meter and air inlet boot as an assembly. On

SVX, remove the power steering hose tie-wrap

on the right side of the engine.»

Why do that to remove one fuel injector?

Excuse my barging in, but...

In the first article, there's a part I dont understand the reason for:

«Remove the air cleaner upper case, air flow

meter and air inlet boot as an assembly. On

SVX, remove the power steering hose tie-wrap

on the right side of the engine.»

Why do that to remove one fuel injector?

Cos they're in the way?

Well my car has been throwing P0301, the coils wires and plugs are all good. When I took my car in for an oil change(free) they said they think it must be the fuel injector. I have ran seafoam to see if that helps but the code has came back. So i dont really know what it is rite now. It might be the fuel injector it might not.

The car does start to shake when idelling. The rpms hover around 550-600rpm once warm. I am starting to think it might possiably be a breathing problem. The CEL almost always comes on while stoped, coming to a stop or leaving from a stop.

Thanks for any help you could give me.

i had the same problem.....i searched high and low for the missfire ( in my car is was P0302 =cyl 2 missfire) everything from "dropped valve guides" to plugs and wires, i even hooked up the oscilloscope ......it turned out that the fuel injector connectors were swapped from cyl 2 to cyl 4......now my suby runs perfect.......check that before you go replacing things.....i know on my 96 legacy 2.2 the injector connectors are color coated..... OH, also my miss ONLY occured when i was stopped at idle. i also had a very rough idle.

Well my car has been throwing P0301, the coils wires and plugs are all good. When I took my car in for an oil change(free) they said they think it must be the fuel injector. I have ran seafoam to see if that helps but the code has came back. So i dont really know what it is rite now. It might be the fuel injector it might not.[...]
Okay, for now let's assume that ignition is okay, and that there's a problem with injection at cylinder #1. Porcupine73 provided good links, and it's probably worth following up on them.

One of the first things I'd do is to determine if there's an injector pulse at #1 at idle; you could listen for a "click" at #1 as it operates, or get a set of "noid lights". You might see if #1 injector has a problem by swapping it with another one, and see if the misfire code changes; just be sure to follow the remove and replace procedure in the link that was provided.

• 3 weeks later...