Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Am I the only one who

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 7point62fmj

7point62fmj

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Mondamin

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:26 PM

has never owned a subaru (other then the wrx) that has a over flow tank for the radiator.
After two brats and one wagon.. not one tank. I am thinking part of my heating issue for my brat is that my radiator is never full.

#2 Breeke

Breeke

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Onalaska, WA

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:53 PM

I've had four EA series soobs and four overflow tanks....:-\

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:59 PM

EA81's don't have overflow bottles. The radiator seeks it's own level and when properly functioning it does not affect the heat at all. All my EA81's have excelent heat and I've never added a single overflow bottle to them. Iv'e seen one's where people have added them but it just isn't neccesary if everything is working as designed.

GD

#4 7point62fmj

7point62fmj

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Mondamin

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:43 AM

so my ea82 waggon should have one..
that is funny.. it is the only one with good heat:lol:

#5 crazyman03

crazyman03

Version 2.2!

• Members
  • 654 posts
  • Lakewood, CO

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:26 PM

I am thinking part of my heating issue for my brat is that my radiator is never full.

You could regularly check the coolant levels. if you keep topping it off eventually, it will be full. :grin:.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

You could regularly check the coolant levels. if you keep topping it off eventually, it will be full. :grin:.

Not without an overflow bottle it won't. The EA81 radiators will puke out what they don't want in them from heat expansion. What is left will always be less than full when cold.

GD

#7 odie

odie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • CC, TX

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

well...answers my question...I was baffled by the lack of a tank and the rad not staying full... would it be ok to add a tank to capture overflow for future top offs? Kinda don't want to mix up a bunch of new anti freeze only to have it puked out. that stuff is getting pretty expensive.

#8 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

just putt a 2.2 in a chaser yesterday i used the overflow from a 91 legacy on the 81 rad worked well had to make a simple bracket and rad stays full and overflow stays at half. Sounds like pluged rad check if bottom half is getting hot when at full temp fan on.

#9 AKghandi

AKghandi

87 GL-10 2" lift 27" tires, 86 GL 2" lift 29"

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

come to think of it the ea81's I've had haven't had overflows.... well one did but it was a vodka bottle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users