Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 Legacy L Wagon - What's it Worth?

Hey Guys.

We're buying a new car and I'll be getting a new hand-me-down so it looks like it's time to let my Legacy go. Wondering what I should ask for it. Asking prices on eBay and Craigslist are all over the board and I obviously can't tell what those people are actually getting for the cars. Very few "completed listings" on eBay and I don't know about the accuracy of those anyway. I think a local sale is the way to go one something like this anyway.

'96 L Wagon

EJ22 5MT

Very Clean

Maintenance is up to date with records since 99k when I bought it

Tires are good

I'm located in NorthWest New Jersey.

Suggestions - ?

Edited by hklaine

Car prices are subjective, one buyer will pay a premium for pristine body condition and overlook mechanical stuff (especially if they can do the work themselves), another buyer will not care a whit about body dings but if you say which mechanicals (clutch, tb etc.) have been recently replaced then you'll help buyers figure out which is their type of 'hot deal' quicker. Post pictures including close ups of obvious dings if any (the ones you can see from my house).

(+) for the 2.2L

'Maintenance is up to date' means a lot of different things to people...explain but don't write a book...too much info will confuse the avg buyer and probably turn away the rest.

I think a lot of folks use blue book sites as a point to deviate from. If you are looking for a quick sale stay low.

being a 96 - my first question would be "interference or non-interference motor??"

Non-interference is a BIG plus in my book...

when was T-belt replaced last? Be specific on this one - actual milage & date when done - especially if it is an interfence motor...

Good luck

This question brings up an interesting phenomenon I have noticed. I used to think that the value of a 10 year old soob wagon with 120-130 Kmi was about $2500. And I bought two old soobs at about this price. However, it seems that times have really changed! Some of the asking prices are now crazy high.

A short answer is that the asking price for a 13 yr old car with 160 Kmi, should [in justice] only be $1500. But you can probably ask much as $4000 and may get it if there is no obvious rust.

I have seen quite a few of these over the past year in my area (Central Pennsylvania), and the private seller prices have been from $2000 - $3000, in maintained condition, most were in the lower to mid $2,000 range.

Your plus is that it's a manual tranny! People really like those, and if someone's looking to buy an older vehicle like this, then stick may very well be what they prefer.

Check the blue-book value and take about $500 off that. Start there and if you get no intrest in a week lower it by $500 and try again.

I sell most of mine by word-of-mouth so it's hard to gauge. People know my work and will pay what I ask for the most part. My gauge is not so much what the car is worth but rather what "comfortable" number will both be agreeable to the buyer and properly compensate me for my time/effort that I've put into the car. Of course that probably doesn't work for you since you actually owned the car to drive rather than just buy/fix/sell as I have been doing.

GD