Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rally Justy! :-)

Picked up a rally car today :-) 1988 or 87 DL Justy, it's FWD but it's a 5 speed :-) And it was free :-) After sitting for two years it fired right up after jumping it and spraying some starting fluid down the carb..

Couple of questions:

Where do I find a Tach for this thing?

Does anyone write a decent repair manual for it??

Would my Weber fit??

Anything else I shoudl be aware of.. YEah it's a Subaru, but it's a totally different breed of beast and I know next to nothing about it :-P I'll post some pics tomorrow...

Guest taprackready

I was in the wrecking yard last week and picking on an 88 or 89 justy with a factory tach. the gauge cluster could be mine for $25 bucks.

Bill

If you want a tach I recommend a gauge cluster out of an '88 (first and only year) Justy RS. It matches the interior very nicely and bolts up no problem. (This is assuming you wanted a sleeper.) Since the Justy had a very limited market in the US, no one that I know of makes a repair manual for it. Chilton's may have, for British markets, but I'm not sure. If you get an overseas manual, make sure it's for pre-1996 Justys. 1996 and later models share components with the Suzuki Swift/Geo Metro, were not available in the US, and are absolute junk. And I don't think your Weber will fit, but I'm not sure. With some creative reengineering I'm sure it could--but with an I3 instead of an H4 layout I think it would probably be more trouble than it's worth. (There's also a huge displacement discrepancy.)

Guest taprackready

Actually I just purchased a chiltons manual for my 94 Justy. Mind you it is a combo manual for several late model subs with lots of info about the other models and a little bit here and there for the Justy, but it works.

Bill 1982 Brat, 1994 Justy

Originally posted by Flowmastered87GL

Ya, get a 5 inch ricer tach :rolleyes:

hey i had one in my 78 chevy truck, until some wongleflute head broke in when it was parked at my auto tech class on a friday, tole it and my stereo.

but i needed it since i was pushing about 400hp, and about 425 tq w/ a 4sp. :D

JCWhitney has them for 2,3,4,5,6,8,10 and 12-cyl. engines. You just have to dig through their catalog. (And not everything in their catalog is on their website.) But since it's a Justy...just get an RS or GL dash. It was meant to be a sleeper.

As for Chilton's manuals--the Chilton manual for '85-'94 L-series cars doesn't cover the Gen 1 Justy, and most of the wiring diagrams for the first two model years of Justies are different from the '89 and later cars. Unfortunately they changed more than sheet metal. An FSM would probably be your best bet.

Where the hell are the timing marks on this thing??? I timed it by ear (dizzy was missing the bolts) and got it to where it seems to have more pep...

Also, the damn thing won't turn off!! I have to pull the fuse to shut it off.. I think it's the switch but not sure, since it will crank with the key...