Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i need help on a turboing my motor

alright so i got a 92 legacy with a 96 front clip on it( lots of body work i had to do) well i got the car for free and have spent no money on it so far. i was told it has a ej22 block with a ej 25 heads and the heads are off a 99 outback i guess.. well i want to know what all i need to turbo my car or if they make a kit. or should i swap in something else for a motor. please help me out

Just continue to spend "no money" on that lump and save your pennies for something that was meant to have forced induction.

And no - no one makes a "kit" for it. If you want it you'll need a lot of parts, and more than a lot of knowledge to make it reliable.

Sounds like one too many shade-tree types have been at work on that car. I wouldn't trust it to get me to work (let alone get me there any faster than it already rolls) with a cobbled together mash of parts like that. Run, don't just walk, away from that mess.

GD

well the car is nice. i've finished all the body work on it. and i'm just tryingt o find a color to paint it. that motor runs good and etc. i can get it to 140mph but i just want it to get there faster. ( i went to a track i didn't do 140 on the road) i've read some where when u put a EJ22 block with ej25 heads it lowers the comp so it can be turboed.. all i'm asking is how much diffrent is the sti motors compare to the non turbo? i've seen a guy who has wrx sti headers and intercooler and turbo on his older legacy. so i've just wondeirng if that will work for me or if the motors are diffrent( i do know motor mounts aren't the same)

The EJ22E is nothing like an STi motor. It's an open-deck block, good for maybe around 200-250 HP reliably under 4 or 5 psi boost - maybe upwards of 8 or 10 with slightly reduced comp. ratio. The STi engine's are capable of 800+ and the EJ22T's have been known to push 1000.

Just putting on EJ25 heads will not lower it enough to enjoy the full benefits of forced induction. You need to change the pistons if you want to be able to boost 20+ psi.

You have to change the entire engine cross-member to one that can accomidate the turbo exhaust, change the radiator to a turbo style (doesn't fit without mods), and add the upper water tank, hoses, etc. Drill the oil-return to the passenger side head for the turbo, blah, blah, etc.

It's not a small amount of work and it's not something you want to "start" with if you aren't already familair with EJ turbo's.

GD

Forget about turbo, this isn't rice-grinder.org/forum Just enjoy your car the way it is. Drive it untill that mess of a motor quits then put a ej22 in it and forget about trying to just "bolt on" a turbo. It doesn't work that way.

Forced Induction on a non-Forced Induction is not an easy task. Takes lots and lots of research, and knowledge.

Until then, Have fun. I think some pics of this car are in order.

-Caleb

First off OP, find out what exactly you have for engine parts. An EJ22 with EJ25 dohc heads will be slightly lower than 9:1 compression, which is fine for boost.

Your biggest problem is going to be engine management and fuel delivery. You need a piggyback or standalone ECU to properly run an older subaru turbo engine. You also need a bigger fuel pump and injectors. If you just stick a turbo on there, the 30 plus degrees of timing it runs, with the stock injectors and fuel pump, you'll kill the engine almost instantly.

To all the doubters, I have a 93 EJ22 shortblock, all stock in my 02 wrx and it runs great with 22 psi of boost everyday. But it's correctly tuned, you can't do that with any pre-'02 cars. So, you need some sort of aftermarket engine management, plus injectors and fuel pump.

Thats a headache and a half man, Just lots, and lots of work. IMO buy a legacy that had a turbo from the factory, there a dime a dozen! atleast in WA state...

Then you would have the correct turbo platform to upgrade on, to replace existing turbo conponents, with WRX parts and what not.

Ignoring all these "negative nancy's", The 2.2l with 2.5l DOHC heads on it is a fine motor for forced induction. The DOHC heads are the same basic casting as the turbo 2.0l subarus, and as such can be drilled and tapped in the same spots as the turbo heads, so that a factory EJ20 turbo, bracket, uppipe and oil and coolant lines can be used. There's a writeup on the bbs.legacycentral.org forums on where the heads need to be drilled and tapped. You will need either a engine crossmember out of a turbo subaru, or notch the passenger side of your crossmember and box the notched area so that the uppipe can fit through. At wastegate pressure so no boost controler, just a hose hooked from the pressure side of the turbo to the wastegate, then engine should run OK untill you can get some sort of fuel management. Depending on the ECU you have, the factory timing maps may work ok too.

Go over to forums.nasioc.com/forums and go to the "N/A motors with bolt on FI" forum and take a look around. There's plenty of support there.