Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OBD II scanner compatibility

what are you saying? he's talking about OBDII scanners, that link is not an OBDII scanner.

i've never had a problem reading codes from a 1997 OBS with a scanner, so your reply is a bit confusing to anyone that doesn't understand these thigns and that they work in just about every car made since 1997, certainly all Subarus.

OBDII is standardized and should work in any vehicle.

what are you saying? he's talking about OBDII scanners, that link is not an OBDII scanner.

i've never had a problem reading codes from a 1997 OBS with a scanner, so your reply is a bit confusing to anyone that doesn't understand these thigns and that they work in just about every car made since 1997, certainly all Subarus.

Huh? If you read the description, it does claim to be an OBDII scanner (or at least claims it can pull and reset engine codes...isn't that a scanner?), compliant with any 1996 and newer vehicle, and it does not work in my subaru.

Huh? If you read the description, it does claim to be an OBDII scanner (or at least claims it can pull and reset engine codes...isn't that a scanner?), compliant with any 1996 and newer vehicle, and it does not work in my subaru.
Oh gotcha, I didn't see that and it doesn't look like a typical OBDII scanner.

OBDII scanners work with a 1997 OBS - the problem lies with the device in your case.

Not necessarily. OBD2 is standardized to all vehicles currently sold in the US. But the communication protocol used by each one was not standardized until just a few years ago. There are several and car makers can pick and choose which they want to use. Some older scanners will not communicate with newer vehicles due to the new protocols used today.

You can pick and choose what you want to believe on wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

I bought the scangauge 2 in the hope it would work but it does not. My subaru impreza 1999 1.6 works apparently under ISO 9141-2. An other car we have a Bremach iveco (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/Bremach_Trex_camper.png) does not work either and that car is from 2009 running the ISO 9141-2 protocol. A toyota yaris working under ISO protocol does work.

Apparently there are more ISO protocols

(the bremach was self build camper to travel around the world)

As it was previously stated there are different protocols used with OBD-2 systems. Since 2008 Canbus is the new standard for all vehicles. I think pre 2001 Subarus use the ISO-9141-2 protocol like Rverdoold stated.

Some reader/scanners will work with all the protocols. For those interested check out the EQuus model 3110 or 3130 models. There are other models and manufacturers also.

http://www.equus.com/products.php?category_id=1_10_7

Okay, I bought an Actron code reader. Now, where is the plugin connection under the dash? On my Honda it is right next to the hood latch and can be accessed without even looking at it. I got down and looked in the Impreza could not see it. Even in the garage it is too freaking cold to be on my knees or crawling in on my back to look for something that may be elsewhere. It is a 98 Impreza OBS.

Okay, I bought an Actron code reader. Now, where is the plugin connection under the dash? On my Honda it is right next to the hood latch and can be accessed without even looking at it. I got down and looked in the Impreza could not see it. Even in the garage it is too freaking cold to be on my knees or crawling in on my back to look for something that may be elsewhere. It is a 98 Impreza OBS.

It should be quite next to the hood release. I have a small coinbox in fron the fusebox and it is just little lower about 10 cm from the hood release to the right.

• 3 years later...

Vehicle: 1996 Legacy Outback

Scan tool: Bluetooth EML327

APP: Torque free

the scan tool will read the logged codes but only gives me the engine coolant temp but no other live data with it reads from my 1996 GMC Jimmy. I looked on http://www.myscantool.com/vehicles.html#subaru. the Jimmy is VPW and the Subaru is ISO. is this a hardware issue or a software issue?

By hardware I assume you mean the car and software you mean the scan tool, right?

It looks like the scan tool can read all kinds of input data.  That leaves the problem of what data a '96 is outputting.  I'm fairly certain it is a limitation of the vehicle, and therefore a "hardware" problem with the car.  I think I've seen another post on this either here or one of the other message boards.

96 outputs fuel system status, engine temp, engine speed, vehicle speed, o2 sensor voltages, fuel trims, MAF value, MAP value, load calculation... A few other things too, I can't remember them all off-hand.

You could have a firmware issue. (Firmware is the programming in the ELM327) but I would email torque tech support and see if they have an answer. It could be something they know about and are trying to fix.