Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Very vague tech question, need help.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my '84 GL 2wd wagon. Last time I drove it 2-3 months ago, it had sat with the hood off for a while, got a lil snow on it, but it fired up and ran. I drove it for about 20 minutes and it started to idle rough (common for that car) and then it just died, never to start agian. It's getting fuel and I've changed the dist and the coil but with no sucess. What the h*ll could be keeping this thing from running?! I honestly don't think it's getting fire, it turns over great, but it never seems to hit to start. Any suggestions? (other than don't let it set with the hood off :-p )

Sorry I didn't reply for so long, been busy with work and other car issues.

I had a little time to play with the soob a bit and it appears I am not getting any power to the coil. What would cause this, I'm in need of a fix fast... I've got a month to get it running and my other '84 soob parted out before my stepdad has them both junked.

run the coil straight off the battery (b+ to +coil) to get it running, if the coil doesn not get power. but i tell you to do this for the sake of moving the car if you have to, till you fix the real problem

by connecting it this way, the whole car should power up ads if the key was in the run position, its possible to start the car from under the hood withthe doors locked and the key in the ign!!!

dont let skip tell you your car will burn to the ground

arf arf

did he say this because his suggestion will have you do this?

Just asking, because if a rodent or some other cause has created a short in the wiring to the fuse box... well

A direct unfused hot wire to the battery positive could...???

Did you by chance check fuse #13 as I believe on your model, this fuse provides power for the coil.

The pink connector under the steering column that connects the ignition switch to the vehicle, has been known to cause problems also.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by Skip

arf arf

did he say this because his suggestion will have you do this?

Just asking, because if a rodent or some other cause has created a short in the wiring to the fuse box... well

A direct unfused hot wire to the battery positive could...???

Did you by chance check fuse #13 as I believe on your model, this fuse provides power for the coil.

The pink connector under the steering column that connects the ignition switch to the vehicle, has been known to cause problems also.

Hope this helps

Use a very small guage wire like 20. This way the wire will burn apart berfore the car. :D

Anyhow, this sounds like what happaned to me once. I let my brat sit for several montsh while trying to figure out why I had a massive backfire. Then I went to work on it again only to have issues starting it. I did the same thing as Miles suggested and got mine running. Turned out to be a bad ignition switch. Easy way to tell this is turn the lights on and then try to start the car. Since the lights are run off the same circuit of the ignition switch they sould stay on while trying to start. If they go out then you've found the problem. You could probably try this before jumping the coil directly to the battery if you're worried about things blowing up.

Keith

Originally posted by GoldDiggerRoo

The car turns over, so does the ingition switch thing hold true still?

Yes. It's possible (and common) for the Start contact on the ign switch to work fine, but the run contact (to the coil, and other things) to be bad.

I agree with Skip: check the fuse for that wire run first.

If you decide to use the jumper wire, make damned sure that you connect it to the '+' side of the coil, because if you connect it to the '-' side, kiss the ignitor goodbye.