Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So. California EA82 Wheeler

JacksonRally

That's a useful little space, isn't it? I have  my coolant overflow reservoir there and an HID ballast for that light. My air-box is in the stock EJ location (where your EJ washer reservoir is) with a big hole cut in the engine bay to the fender. Eventually it will get a snorkel, which will also help with the low-end torque. My washer fluid reservoir is in the stock location with 2 bolts instead of 3. Just squeezed in there. It will have to go when I do the snorkel, though.

Looks good in there, dude. BTW, I have a whole A/C setup if you'd like it. I mean everything in the loop that is an exact replacement for your parts. Come get it and we'll go wheelin'!

• 3 weeks later...

Haha looks like my brother (subyspawn) has so spy photos :)

Axles are just fine. The ones i have in there right now are dual plunging from an 86. At their worst angle i can grab the half shaft and move it in and out of the cvs. So no bind.

I have some updates and a trip report that i need to get to. Been busy since we got back. Ill get to it.

Finally all of my hard work has paid off. A few weekends ago we set out to the Mohave desert for the High Desert Trails Rally and to do some wheelin! After a year and a half of blood, sweat and tears we hopped into the ol GL and hit the road. The plan was to head out the night before the rally and camp, rally stuff on saturday and wheelin on sunday. This would be the first time camping from the car. I loaded up everything friday morning but waited til departure to try to actually drive the car fully loaded. When I say loaded I mean packed roof rack, packed cargo area and packed back seats. When we finally pulled away I noticed the car bottom out right away in the rear and this was with gas light on and no fuel in the aux can. O crap! At this point we were running late, luckily my buddy who we were meeting up with was having driveline problems in his Land Rover and turned back to get his truck. So this bought us some time. We decided to run into town real quick to pick up the Eibach springs I had ordered and grabbed those to install at the camp. So we hit the road for a 200 mile drive bottomed in the rear, loaded down like the Beverly Hillbillies, a/c cranking and stereo turned up. Everything worked pretty well but I was starting to have a little sputtering accelerating from a stop. O well it wasnt horrible , just put it on the list to check out when we get home. All in all we put in quite a few miles and many hours wheelin across the desert with out any real issues. 

Here are some photos.

20130503_211612_zps40d8cd84.jpg

20130505_110831_zps5b39cd64.jpg

20130505_110705_zps88e0c03c.jpg

20130505_110705_zps88e0c03c.jpg

20130505_110759_zpsa03d2034.jpg

20130505_114459_zpsa53c265e.jpg

20130505_114445_zpsb3628f02.jpg

My brother has more photos, Ill have to get him to post those.

Also forgot to note his Forester was flawless all weekend aside from the blower motor for the a/c melting down.

Edited by JacksonRally

So i went on quite the mission yesterday, within a stones throw of the Mexican border to pickup some parts for the next phase of suspension work. I am consistently having a misfire problem only immediately after topping off the tank. Hours later when i refueled for the trip home i did not top off and no misfire!? Anyone have any idea what could be going on? Within about 10 miles of driving/misfiring, using a little fuel it will stop and run normal. Weird.

That's very strange. The only thing I can think of is that it's a pressure problem which resolves when there is enough head space in the tank. Do you have a tank pressure sensor and vent solenoid hooked up? Maybe it's not liking the signal it's getting vs. the actual situation. Just speculating... Not sure why it's only one side of the engine. Maybe it has something to do with the vent line being submerged and messing with the regulator on that rail.

Nice desert pics. I took my 2" lifted outback to the desert a week ago and had a great time.

Edited by kanurys

Thanks, the desert is fun but the rocks get annoying after awhile.

Im on the hunt for an 01 fuel tank and charcoal canister. I'm thinking about putting the whole sending unit in the 87 tank. Right now i have a walbro 255lph fuel pump. When hooked up to a Subaru scanner its saying its running rich. Maybe too much pump for the pressure regulator? If i do in tank pump it will just be stock pump.

The EJ engines can run wide open on 35-45 psi with adequate volume flow rate. The walbro should be fine if it's within the psi spec. For higher psi than that, one might need different hoses and clamps or there would be leaks. I'm running a pump off of a EFI EA82.

I am trying to keep true to the original suspension design of the GL. Honestly I've been very tempted to take the easy way out and go to straight axles, but Im not about the easy route. I will retain the strut setup in front and swing arm in rear. The locking hubs are for the rear. I also have an r200 coming. Originally I was going to get an arb fir the r200 but won't need to with the locking hubs. So I will either weld the diff again or get a spool. Im not trying to do anything crazy, just want to use heavy duty parts. Lots more to come! Plus those Toyota 4pots calipers are huge :)