Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy BE/BH/BL/BP rear suspension on Hatch

LeoneTurbo

I would like to fit the rear suspension of a Legacy III/IV (BE/BH/BL/BP-series) on my '82 Hatch.

bl_bp_rear_sus.JPG

I know will need to design/build a new rear subframe, but I want to carry over all other parts like coilovers, hubs and all suspension arms. I just wonder if somebody already did some research in this direction or if I'm going to be guinee pig...

:banana:

it is something that i have looked at.the main issue is the vehicle subframe you willl have to build is going to lift the vehicle up a bit.depending on what material you will use,it coiuld end up REALLY high compared to stock.

the other issues are driveline length(no big deal really), and the track width.you end up about 2 inches or so wider(preliminary measurements.)

actual width after would oniously depend on rims you use, but the offset will be more important.the outboard lateral suspension links also will end up a little wide for the body........

the best idea i could come up with, was make a subrfame for the ENTIRE ej suspension, and then mount the body to it.

if you are looking for a walk through guide on how to do it, you are ************ out of luck.and if you do not have fabrication experience, good luck with that.

cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru

there's a guy on another forum I frequent who is doing a body swap in an interesting fashion. it would be the equivalent of you taking a complete body pan/suspension from the legacy, and cutting out the body pan of the hatch, and welding the Legacy pan to the hatch body...

but then if you throw in the narrowing of everything, you'd then have to plit the pan down the middle, and narrow everything....

take pics :lol:

anything's possible:

mig%20welder.jpg

IMHO, there aren't enough gains to justify the project. unless you have a lot of time, money, and donor cars to hack up.....and even then, I don't know why.

if you're going to hack up the back of the car, and put in an entirely new suspension system, at least use the modified macpherson setup that's so much more common. then you'll have a ton of options for suspension setups.

I don't agree. The Legacy III/IV suspension is also used on the Impreza III and is urguably the better setup. Besided that, since it is relatively shallow, it fits the Hatch body better than the strut setup.

I already have used hubs/arms including brakes and axles on order from Japan and I've got factory service manuals with the measurement point for both that Legacy and the Hatch, so I should be able to design a subframe which fulfills all my requirements.

And don't worry, I will take pics :)

Sounds like you want to do this and are prepared, so have fun with it.

I'm not a performance suspension person but it seems like a high end rebuild (rear coil overs) and sway bar would be imperceptible in difference from this kind of work.

I'm not firm on details but there's also a newer Subaru rear strut that can bolt into an EA82...though I don't know which years and if the actual suspension is any different. Thought I'd mention it in case it's different in any way that might help your conversion, but I don't know.

I'm not firm on details but there's also a newer Subaru rear strut that can bolt into an EA82...though I don't know which years and if the actual suspension is any different. Thought I'd mention it in case it's different in any way that might help your conversion, but I don't know.

That's the rear coil over of a Legacy III/IV.... ;)

Just use the EA82 top mount...

I would argue the point as to which is better. the only advantage I've seen, is more storage room in the car since there effectively aren't strut towers.

also, look closely at the WRC08 cars. they are not multi-link.....

But, one thing is for sure, there is far more aftermarket support for the modified macpherson setup. adjustable links/arms, struts, springs, coilovers etc. etc.

also, I wouldn't recommend running the stock multilink rear shocks on an EA82. they are not designed to use a bushing between the shock rod and upper mount.....I removed it, and snapped that rod in about 1k miles. WJM did the same on his RX with the same results. Although there is a miata shock that is a direct bolt-in with coilover sleeve springs.

full coilovers designed for the multilink setup can be used with the upper bushing. but again, your selection is very limited. better now that the imprezas share that platform, but you're still looking at either el cheapo coilovers, or uber expensive ones.

Either way. like Gary said, you sound like you have a decent idea of what you're doing, and the means to do it. In which case you have nothing but support from me. I'm just offering my experience with building subarus for use in all kinds of motorsports to get you the best setup possible. I'm still un-sure of your reasoning for doing this, so I'm kinda shooting in the dark....but either way.

Also, what are your plans for the front? If you're going to that kind of trouble to improve your geometry in the rear....you'll have a similar project in the front, or it will all be for nothing.

Edited by Numbchux

Also, what are your plans for the front? If you're going to that kind of trouble to improve your geometry in the rear....you'll have a similar project in the front, or it will all be for nothing.

i would not say this is totally true. the rear being a super useless design with torsion bars but the front already has a good initial design. coilovers and maybe custom control arms/stabilizer bars will button up the front nicely.

i have done a similar sort of swap for the rear. I found that the legacy stuff would be more difficult to use. You will probably notbe able to fit the gas tank in the stock spot. Beyond that, my swap is to different (i have gen 1, and used impreza rear suspension) so i can't really offer any advice beyond, it does work... you'll have to be inventive, but it's not impossible.

keeping in mind, mine is STILL a work in progress. so i cannot confirm my work. but it looks neat... and its WAY wider on the gen 1...

IMGP0019-1.jpg

IMGP0009.jpg

good luck!!!

Thanks for all the DOs and DON'Ts I will keep them in the back of my mind. I will still have to check feasibility of my plans once I have the car in my garage and the original rear setup removed. I will soon post an initial sketch of what I want to do exactly...

OK so the plans are shaping up nicely... All suspension parts (and wheels) will have to stay within the standard width body. To accomodate the Legacy III rear suspension (not subframe) I will have to cut away the rear floor between the chassis rails and weld in new sections. This will also make it possible to mount the battery nice and low between rear seats and rear axle on the left side, and the ABS pump (yes, ABS pump) on the right side. WIll start the sketches this week. I'm looking forward to this project!