Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Gen i brat sentimental project very important!!!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Idaho_Dirtball

Idaho_Dirtball

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Hayden

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:24 AM

I HAVE A 78 BRAT WITH A CUSTOM CONVERTIBLE TOP AND ME AND MY MOM HAD PLANS OF LIFTING IT AND DOING SOME MOTOR MODS TO IT. SHE PASSED AWAY AND AFTER MAKING THE TOP FOR ME , I WANT TO FINISH THE REST OF IT. I NEED HELP ON HOW TO BUILD A LIFT FOR THIS AND ALSO WHAT MOTOR AND FIVE SPEED TRANNY TO PUT IN HERE. ANY AND ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED THANKS. I WILL POST PICS OF EVERYTHING THAT IS DONE IF I GET SOME HELP ON WHAT I AM DOING. HELP!!!!! :drunk::drunk::horse:

#2 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:46 AM

first bit of help PLEASE DON'T WRITE IN ALL CAPS Its annoying to read and it looks like you're SHOUTING.

#3 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:55 AM

TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK

buy this lift kit http://www.ultimates...ad.php?t=100368

to keep the stock ea71 and to install a 5 speed, use a newer style ea71 bellhousing or the entire engine with the FWD 5 speed that came as an option of the hatch, IIRC

#4 Idaho_Dirtball

Idaho_Dirtball

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Hayden

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

sorry about the caps being on. So I should stay with the stock motor? it already seems like i have no power and I imagine it will be even worse if I lift it.

#5 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

Bigger tires will make the engine feel even less powerful.

The lift kits, as mentioned are relatively simple to install, I'd go with one of the kits available, it will save you a lot of headache down the road.

As far as the engine, you are limited by the width of the frame rails. An EA-81 (1.8) should fit, I'm not 100% on that but someone else may be able to comment to that. It won't at much power, but you'll gain some torque, which will help with the bigger tires if you go that route.

With that engine, I'd recommend a 5 speed dual range transmission out of a EA-82 GL the DL's are not dual range, and the automatics are problematic.

There is a really good FAQ in the offroad section that covers most everything that you'll be asking, I suggest reading through that and then asking any questions you might have.

#6 subaruguru

subaruguru

Oldschool Cool

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

Hey got your pics really looks good i will put them up when they finish loading to my photobucket.

Rob.

#7 newsoobdude

newsoobdude

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • helL A/ NorCal Foothills

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

We want pics!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users