Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ignition barrel removal 85 brat.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

I've searched with no real satisfactory answer. I have a replacement but can't seem to remove the current one. Am i stuck replacing the whole damn thing? Not looking forward to that.

#2 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

those are a pain in the butt to remove. the tilt wheel wires make it hard to do.
good luck. It took me a long time to get the one out of my parts BRAT and putting one back in is probably even worse. this is not an easy task.

#3 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,149 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:54 PM

lets see if I can remember... I've done it before, but has also just swapped out entire columns... just to avoid this...

remove all the plastic around the column. about 6 screws from the underside.
remove steering wheel. an 85 will have 1 or 2 screws to remove from the back side for the horn button, then you sort of have to pry it off...
use a deep well 17mm socket to remove the steering wheel nut.
disconnect the plug for the multi-sw and caregully remove the multi-sw unit.
remove the 2 screws holding the IGN electrical switch to the back of the tumbler...
you should see a couple of tensioned cables with ball ends attached to the column, for the auto-spring of the tilt. you'll need to get ahold of the ball end without damaging it, and pull then free of the socket they sit in.
there should be 2 or 4 bolts (8 or 10mm) holding the tumbler to the column. remove those, and you should be able to pull the tumbler assembly off the column... be carefull, and make sure the roller needle bearings inside are still there (not stuck on the column).

inspect your replacement to make sure the needle bearing are intact, or you may need to transfer your old ones over....

install the replacement tumbler....

#4 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,615 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:53 AM

^what he said. Its not a walk in the park by any means but its not the hardest thing out there either. McBrat actually gave u a pretty good walk through of whats involved. There are 4 10 mm bolts holding the entire assembly on. I would disconnect the cables then remove the bolts. It will make your life easier. If you dont understand what McBrat said or what im saying you will once you get in there and start taking it apart.

#5 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,383 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:57 AM

he is talking about the tumbler, just the tumbler........
i have been trying too, and i cannot remember......nor get it out.i do not have time to call a locksmith.but that is the next step i believe.let me know whats up. and i think it is a pain, but not nearly as impossible as stated.....cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru, 13 May 2010 - 08:11 AM.

#6 renob123

renob123

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • Hillsburrito, OR

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

I don't remember pulling out the spring-tensioned ball thingies when I did mine.

To get the actual lock cylinder out, you need to drill out some pot metal. Search under threads started by me. GD gives a decent explanation of it.

Jacob

#7 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

Thanks. I'm gonna keep working at it and hope i can pop the barrel. Starting with a screwdriver really aggravates my OCD. :mad:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users