Ultimate Subaru Message Board

check engine light 89 GL

I had my car smoged and the check engine light was burned out. I went to my junk yard of old subarus and got a bulb and put it in. The question is----Is the connector under the hood to check the timing supposed to be connected or not, under normal driving? When it is connected the light goes off, but it was disconnected for the last year. IT IS A CALIFORNIA CAR WITH FUEL INJECTION. I checked 2 manuals and it is not clear.

The connectors stay disconnected. They are only for reading and clearing check engine lights and setting the timing. I think there's a set of green and a set of black connector, both stay disconnected.

Be sure to say what engine/trans when asking questions: GL could be EA81 (hatch) or EA82 (wagon). I'm not familiar at all with EA81 but I don't think they ever had FI, so I assume it's a wagon and EA82?

My car is an 89 GL wagon with fuel injection. I looked at the website that grossgary mentioned, but it does not talk about the 1.8L The Chilton manual says that you check the timing with the green connector connected. The connector I am talking about is near the master cylinder. So if the light stays on with the green connector disconnected, and goes out with it connected, I guess I have a problem. It passed smog out the tail pipe, but not the light. Tomorrow I am going to see which way it kills the timing advance, connected or disconnected. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by jp1gt

if you have a code, go ahead and extra that code and let us know what it is, it's usually something simple and not hard to track down.

website does not talk about the 1.8L? almost all of that thread is about the 1.8 liter in your car - 1.8 liter EA82. follow the directions in that thread for reading codes. yours is one of these two in the list....i think yours is the first SPFI:

CODES: 1988 and later models with Single-Point Fuel Injection

11 Crank angle sensor or circuit

12 Starter switch or circuit

13 Crank angle sensor or circuit

14 Fuel injector - abnormal output

21 Coolant temperature or circuit

23 Air flow meter or circuit

24 Air control valve or circuit

31 Throttle sensor or circuit

32 Oxygen sensor or circuit

33 Vehicle Speed Sensor or circuit

34 EGR solenoid or circuit

35 Purge control solenoid or circuit

42 Idle switch or circuit

45 Kick-down control relay or circuit

51 Neutral switch continuously in the on position

55 EGR temperature sensor or circuit

61 Parking switch or circuit

CODES: 1988 and later models with Multi-Point Fuel Injection

11 Crank angle sensor or circuit

12 Starter switch or circuit

13 Cam position sensor or circuit (TDC sensor on Justy)

14 Fuel injector no. 1 (Legacy, Impreza, Justy, SVX); Fuel injector 1 and 2 (XT, Loyale, GL, DL)

15 Fuel injector no. 2 (Legacy, Impreza, Justy, SVX); Fuel injector 3 and 4 (Loyale, GL, DL); Fuel injector 5 and 6 (XT6)

16 Fuel injector no. 3 (Legacy, Impreza, Justy, SVX); Fuel injector 3 and 4 (XT)

17 Fuel injector no. 4 (Legacy, Impreza, SVX); Fuel injector 1 and 2 (XT6)

18 Fuel injector no. 5 (SVX)

19 Fuel injector no. 6 (SVX)

21 Coolant temperature sensor or circuit

22 Knock sensor or circuit (right side on SVX)

23 Air flow meter or circuit (exc. Justy); Pressure sensor (Justy)

24 Air control valve or circuit (exc. Justy); Idle speed control solenoid valve (Justy)

25 Fuel Injector 3 and 4 (XT6)

26 Air temperature sensor (Justy)

28 Knock sensor no. 2 (SVX, left side)

29 Crank angle sensor (SVX, no. 2)

31 Throttle position sensor or circuit

32 Oxygen sensor or circuit (no. 1, right side on SVX)

33 Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) or circuit

34 EGR solenoid valve

35 Canister purge solenoid or circuit

36 Air suction solenoid valve (Impreza); Igniter circuit (Justy)

37 Oxygen sensor (no. 2, left side , SVX)

38 Engine torque control (SVX)

41 Air/fuel adaptive control

42 Idle switch or circuit

43 Throttle switch (Justy)

44 Wastegate duty solenoid (turbo)

45 Pressure duty solenoid (turbo)/atmospheric pressure sensor circuit (non-turbo)

49 Airflow sensor

51 Neutral switch (manual transmission)/inhibitor switch (automatic transmission)

52 Parking brake switch (exc. Justy)/Clutch switch (Justy)

55 EGR temperature sensor

56 EGR system

61 Parking brake switch (Loyale)/Fuel tank pressure control solenoid valve (Impreza)

62 Fuel temperature sensor (Impreza)/Electric load signal (Justy)

63 Fuel tank pressure sensor (Impreza)/Blower fan switch (Justy)

65 Vacuum pressure sensor

Thanks again. I want to make sure I am testing it right. There are 2 connectors near the master cyl. One is green and one is grey. I have tried all combination's and the light just stays on with them connected, or disconnected, engine off, key on. Engine on with it connected the light goes off, connected light on. There is no code for light on not flashing. I went out there and checked the advance and timing. The timing is correct and you rev the engine up and it advances. It is the same with the green wire connected or not. Mileage is good, emissions are good, performance is good (for a 1.8). Since this is an early computer system, could it still be OK? BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD. I FOUND OUT THAT THE CODE FLASHING LIGHT IS ON THE ECM, BY THE STEERING COLUMN, NOT THE LIGHT ON THE DASH, WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.

Edited by jp1gt

Mine is exactly like that. I was connecting the green connectors and looking at the light on the dash. I need to look at the lights on the ecm I guess. I will post my findings when I have some time.---Jack

In which section of the EA82 manual is the procedure for blinking out the codes I've been reading through everything and haven't come across it yet. Just want to be able to read what is there and clear them out. Did a search under "retrieving codes" "reading codes" how to read EA82 codes" etc... etc... on here and didn't find it. Thanks. Or if anyone wants to give a simple step by step and put it into one of the stickys that might be a good idea. Thanks

In which section of the EA82 manual is the procedure for blinking out the codes I've been reading through everything and haven't come across it yet. Just want to be able to read what is there and clear them out. Did a search under "retrieving codes" "reading codes" how to read EA82 codes" etc... etc... on here and didn't find it. Thanks. Or if anyone wants to give a simple step by step and put it into one of the stickys that might be a good idea. Thanks

I don't recall where it is in the FSM but it's there, but all the info you need is in the link that grossgary provided above. The XT's had the ea82 as well, so don't think that it's different because it's an XT and doesn't apply. The XT6 on the other hand has a different motor in it, but regular XT's had the same motor...

I found another web page with some detailed info but in both cases I couldn't figure out on mine where the O2 light was (the LED) they were talking about to actually watch blink, I thought the CEL would flash the code but mine just simply stays on.

The lamp that flashes the codes is on the side of the ECU itself. Under the steering column.

The white connectors are used to retrieve stored codes. The green connectors are to put the car into D-Check test mode or to set the timing. All of them are DISCONNECTED for normal operation.

The other connectors in that group are for the dealership diagnostic computer.

GD

No - you do have to remove the lower portion of the kick-panel under the steering column. It's about 4 to 6 screws or those threaded push-lock deals. I just pull it and leave it off while troubleshooting, etc.

Note that if you leave the panel off, when the CEL comes on durring normal driving you can just pull over and leave the engine running - the code will flash on the ECU regardless of what mode you have the test plugs in.

GD

And just a curiosity thing, anyone know what the big yellow and grey connectors are for, other options etc...

Line end testing on the production line, and early "select monitor" interface.

(Select Monitor is Subaru's Pre-0BD II computer diagnosis system. Allows a tech to view streamed data from the ECU)

Kinduv obsolete and irrelavant anymore.

Well got the codes, lovely place to stick your head to see, but anyway. I am getting one code for the EGR valve and another for the MAF so looks like I'm going to have some fun testing those parts and probably replacing them I fear. But at least I know where to look now.