Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

head gasket: oem vs. felpro?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nutt7

nutt7

certified hoser!

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Tempe

Posted 17 February 2004 - 08:30 PM

I recently blew a head gasket:mad: Subaru dealer has a complete seal kit for $230! Local parts store has a felpro seal kit for $120. I hear that only oem subie HGs should be trusted and the guy behind the counter said the fel pros meet/exceed oem and he guarantees it...I am poor. $120 kicks the pants off $230...I think I am going to go with the felpro unless someone strongly suggests otherwise. this is my daily driver so I need her back on the street asap! I searched for an hour, but couldnt find the info I needed...any help is greatly appreciated
eric

p.s. Once the car started acting up, I pulled over and determined the prob was the HG and had my buddies civic:eek: tow me home so Im sure the engine/heads are in good condition still and I am also going to do the other typical front end maint. too

#2 garner

garner

Brat Master Flash

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Vilas, NC

Posted 17 February 2004 - 08:54 PM

nutt7

try 1stsubaruparts.com

way better prices than my local dealer

However, I used Felpro that I got from Napa I think. They are great gaskets and everything fit just fine.

Some will insist on Genuine gaskets, especially head gasket but, I don't buy that.

btw, that sucks to have to get towed by a civic, yuck

#3 Partsman

Partsman

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • sunny Eugene, OR

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:20 PM

Garner, Garner, Garner. Tsk, tsk, tsk. You didn't buy the gaskets from me where I could have given you the kind discount! BTW, Napa gaskets are made by Victor, not FelPro. Unless you buy Beck-Arnley, of course.

Any USMBers in the Eugene area - mention USMB to me (Brian) and I'll hook you up with better pricing.

#4 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,941 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:23 PM

Felpro sets are quite good. Not quite the OEM quality but quite good.

I have bought gasket kits on ebay for pretty reasonable prices.

#5 garner

garner

Brat Master Flash

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Vilas, NC

Posted 17 February 2004 - 09:31 PM

oops partsman, I must have gotten them at the other (evil) auto parts store before I found a subaphile like you to but my parts from.

he's right, he will hook you up.

garner

#6 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 18 February 2004 - 12:38 AM

Originally posted by Partsman
Garner, Garner, Garner. Tsk, tsk, tsk. You didn't buy the gaskets from me where I could have given you the kind discount! BTW, Napa gaskets are made by Victor, not FelPro. Unless you buy Beck-Arnley, of course.

Any USMBers in the Eugene area - mention USMB to me (Brian) and I'll hook you up with better pricing.

Partsman,

How much for a gasket seal kit for a Subaru XT6 (any year)?

#7 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,613 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 18 February 2004 - 01:33 AM

i notice the victor series gaskets from napa use graphite faced intake gaskets and exhaust gaskets, and a metal egr gasket, wheras the felpro use paper faced gaskets and a paper egr gasket

it looks that napa is the better quality, on the back each gasket is listed as "made in japan" and it wil have enought gaskets to do a whole head gasket job, including cam covers and grommets, and enough gaskets o rebuild an mpfi manifold.

the napa set comes with enough gaskets for ANY ea82

pick up the oil pump seal, and turbo flange gaskets separately

#8 nutt7

nutt7

certified hoser!

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Tempe

Posted 18 February 2004 - 11:35 PM

thanks guys. I will keep you posted on progress.

#9 Partsman

Partsman

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • sunny Eugene, OR

Posted 19 February 2004 - 12:45 PM

Myxalplyx:

Hate to hijack this post, BUT I wanted to get back to you. I'm currently on vacation, snowmobiling in Eastern Oregon :D Will check when I get back next week.

#10 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 19 February 2004 - 03:08 PM

yeah felpro and victor are both good alternatives. I am cautious about some of the cheap imported ones (stone ect.)
some of the gaskets in those kits are kinda lame.

#11 Stupidru

Stupidru

Currently Subaruless

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Northumberland, PA

Posted 20 February 2004 - 10:05 AM

Unless your planning to remove engine than there is no need to buy full kit. Although sloopy work with engine in car, a head gasket job can be done. You'll only need a few gaskets if performing job w/ engine in. I only use Subaru Gasket: 1. I only live 8 blocks away from dealer 2. Gaskets are not much more $ than aftermarket. 3. Turbo applications are different & local aftermarket store always want to give me N/A

#12 nutt7

nutt7

certified hoser!

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Tempe

Posted 21 February 2004 - 12:57 PM

I bought the oem kit for $170 from 1stsubaruparts. there are a few other things Im replacing too. So far I got it torn down waiting for the parts to come in...lost 1 int. mani. stud due to rust.:mad: but at least there is enough sticking out to grip it with the vise grips once the penetrating lube has time to do its magic. everything else went relatively smooth. emphasis on relatively.
I will give a full rundown upon completion of this mission...
e

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users