Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pawn Shopping

thefalsediviner

I've been getting more tools together as I spend a lot of time in my workshop these days. One of the things allowing my to do this is my new habit of browsing pawn shops for tools. For instance I have $75 into my Snap-on 3/8 drive air ratchet and Chicago Pneumatic 1/2 impact, combined. Both of these tools are a little older, but they both work perfectly.

I'm also learning to look at the inventory stickers as some Pawn guys code their buy price in the item number. Helps to know what they are into the tool for before negotiating.

What are your Pawn Shopping tips?

thefalsediviner

i bought persuader one from a paqwn shop, no name chrome vanadium cause i knew it would work for just that once.

it lasted like 6 years.......and trust me, when i broke it ,i gave it all i had.and it happened on a legacy bearing job.never did get that bearing changed.best damn 5 bucks i ever spent.cheers

I have gotten some Great deals on tools at Pawn Xchange. Especially yrs ago before they finally wised up. The thing about Pawn Xchange is the employee's aren't really pawn shop people or, tool people. To most of them, a cheap Harbor Fright recip saw is no different than a top of the line Milwaukee. And, usually the items are priced the same.

If you want to shop for decent quality tools and get good bargains, then go to the Tacoma swap meet. Located on South Tacoma Way and held every weekend. I've been going as often as I can for about 20 yrs. That place is a friggen hoot. The culture shock alone is worth the trip.

It has been my experience visiting pawn shops (and there are many in Nevada) in recent years, that you're not "dealing" very much, as most of the shops have barcoded labels on just about everything, and a set price..sort of like shopping at a retail chain store. Not much room for "negotiation".

They seem to be set up to sell to buyers that have lousy credit, and will finance someone who couldn't get a payment plan somewhere else. They'll sell a used tool for about the same price as retail, and "carry the note" when nobody else will. I know a guy that owns a "dirt lot" car dealership (the Buy Here Pay Here type), and provides financing on mostly junk, makes decent money. He's got a skilled "Collections Department", and many times sells the same car several times.

(back on point...) While the pawn shops sell a lot of off-brand used junk, there are a few hidden gems (and deals) out there..it just takes a lot of diligence to find 'em.

Just my 2 bucks

Here in town we have a pawn shop that only deals in tools, and nothing else. And they only deal with the good stuff, not any cheap crap, that's what harbor freight is for. I find they have great deals on most things, and are very willing to negotiate a deal. But that some may not have the luxury of a tool only shop so I would just stick to the yard sales instead, seems to me most pawn shops charge almost retail for their stuff, and a lot of it aint worth a dime.

Most Snap-On tools are rebuild able if you buy one cheap, take it on the truck and have it sent out for rebuild that is an obvious way to go to me. The trucks themselves often have trade in units as well at very reasonable prices like you can buy a Mac, Cornwell or a Matco tool that was traded in on a Snap-on for 25-50 bucks and then take it to the other truck and send it out for rebuild.

The rebuilt units I have seen are often better than they were new. A few of the tools I bought came back as a newer model because they don't rebuild the old one anymore.

The other thing is the Cornwell and Matco prices are usually quite good and usually the tools are built by Ingersoll Rand for them so they are a high quality unit that isn't terribly expensive.

I do like the quality of the high end tools, but in my experience, it's nearly impossible to get any kinda service or warranty work done. Especially off the trucks. Seems if your not a Pro working in an established garage with a Snap On credit line and a $5000 tool box, Mr. Snap On driving the truck isn't too interested in helping a guy out.

I like Craftsman and Proto. Not the quality of the others, but the service is unbeatable.

I like Craftsman and Proto. Not the quality of the others, but the service is unbeatable.

doesn't help the snap on guy knows you are lying when you say "it just broke" :lol:

you CAN howerver tell the "tool" guy at sears that the 1/2" ratchet "just broke", when ALL YOU DID was put a 4' cheater pipe on it and then jump up and down on it breaking rear drums to a 73 bug loose :grin: (torqued to 257lb/ft) ... He will believe it "just broke" :lol::lol::lol:

how about make a list of tools needed...

go to pawn shop. searching out the most crappy looking craftsmans of those tools. crappy look will be dirt cheap.

then go break them, and go to a sears store and they will give you new for the borked ones lol....

i have bought tools of the crafstman brand from pawn shops SPECIFICALLY to go and get a new tool from sears.....

whats wrong with that?

it's their warranty..