Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wierd happening

so, I was driving through the mountains today, and as I started up a small incline on the highway at 60mph, my car wouldn't accelerate. Not only that, it was decellerating. I thought it was just because of the incline (I mean the brat only has 65 hp so...) but my speed continued to drop. I got down to 35mph and I downshifted into 3rd, but when I stepped on the gas, nothing happened. The rpms were at 3000 and continued to go down, and my speed was still going down. Even when I floored it, this continued. I was then down to 20mph and downshifted into 2nd. same thing. I pulled over and it died before I could make a full stop. then, I popped the hood, looked around, opened the air filter box, put everything back, got in the car, started it back up and it was fine, and didn't give me anymore trouble for the rest of the trip, even on the much steeper inclines. I had filled the tank up the week before with cheap Arco regular (prices are too high!) and then today, just before getting into the mountains, I filled the tank up with chevron plus. I still had about a 5th of a tank of arco regular left when I filled her up today. Could this have been the problem? I just don't want it to happen again. Scared me, thought the brat was done for! So, could it have been the gas? or something else? :confused:

well, on a wagon there is a filter under the hood and then one right in front of the drivers side back tire.. There should be a little shelf where a filter and hte fuel pump sit.

I'm not sure about on a brat, but you can check those spots

Wat was the outside temerature the moment it happend?

Sounds like icing in the ventury because the heat riser is not connected or the valve on the air filter is in summer position.

As soon as the engine stops there is no longer air flow thrue the ventury, the icing melts so you can start and drive normal.

Urban.

fuel filters for fun but i would go with the icing or even vapor lock in the fuel lines

or possibly a stuck carby float and your bangin around on stuff under the hood may have loosened it

and last but not least maybe a weak fuel pump

notice any odd smells ? like to much gas or anything?

Classic symptoms, as taught in flight school. Is your Brat missing the heat muff snorkle? It would have actually started off sooner if you had left the hood down. As soon as you stop running cold moist air thru the venturi the heat from the stalled engine will melt the ice block out of the carb. After a couple of rough seconds while the engine digests the accumulated water, and you're off again.

If it happens again, note the air temp / dewpoint; the closer together they are the better chance of carb ice. As you lose power put it in neutral and let it coast as it idles, you want as little air moving thru the carb as possible as the engine heat warms the carb throat.

If the heat riser is missing replace it.

Won't hurt anything but your prode ... unless you're flying over that pass and have to land your new glider on the interstate between the semis!

it was about 30 to 32 degrees when it happened, and there was some slush on the roadways, and come to think of it, I did smell something funny coming from the engine, but I assumed that it was the semi in front of me, adn it wasn't constant, only happened twice for no more than 10 seconds or less each time.