Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Jessekrs123's 1984 Subaru BRAT

Glad its much better now !

You doing any local meets this year?

Don't forget - Caffeine and Carbs down in New Canaan - your Brat will be appreciated - just park in a side lot along the main run like I do. Last three of the year Sept , Oct, and Nov.

Hoping you or some other vintage Subaru makes it there.

Meanwhile , I'll try to get up to auqaberry too. Right now my exhaust is LOUD !!!!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have just read this entire thread.  The OP has done a tremendous job with his Brat.  I compliment him on his perserverance and his troubleshooting skills.  I also want to compliment his parents for having brought him to this point.  It didn't happen by accident.

Yes, there is something about Subaru's in general and Brats in particular that can become addictive.  I purchased my original Brat about 10 years ago and about a year later was able to secure my present Brat.  It is bone stock. 

Keep up the good work and keep working on the rust and other little things as time and money allow.  I have copied a few posts from this thread and saved them for my future reference.  Mine serves as a tow vehicle behind my motorhome and as a fun casual driver.  You have reindpired me to do a few more things to mine.

I have subscribed to this thread so keep it coming.

post-51-0-09251100-1376708881_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedBrat

Drive on up to new England this fall. We'll treat you to a coffee at Dunkin Donuts. ;)

I really want to see an old brat behind a motorhome.

Hang in there!  I should be in your area some time late spring, early summer next year and I will make it happen.  By the way, I have seen another person out of WA who had a Brat as a tow vehicle so I am not the only one.  In the attached picture I am in the coach on the left passing the other coach.

post-51-0-22134600-1376792050_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted, just been driving her everyday. Recently did brake pads/shoes.

Ran into a bit of a problem though.

My ignition keeps cutting out randomly. I seem to have narrowed it down to there being something wrong with the signal going to the tach. When it loses ignition, the tach does not move. Check for spark and nothing. Usually the tach will bounce even a little bit while cranking. And I also sat there and watched the tach drop to nothing while the motor just died out.

I don't know if this is significant or not but recently Fuse 13 the 15A fuse for the ignition coil has been blowing out I'm assuming because of my push button start I have wired to an ignition source. When this fuse blows, no dash lights or gauges work. Usually I just pop in a new fuse and I'm on my way.

I've also noticed when I pull that fuse, the fuel pump clicks. Is this normal?

My relays sound to be working fine when the ignition is turned to on.

Checked my wiring diagrams and see that with the positive terminal on the coil is tied in with all the dash lights/tach and the negative terminal is tied in with the tach/fuel pump. Would my problem lie within the negative termianl/signal from the coil?

Just picking my brain here, your help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Jessekrs123

If it's blowing fuses the problem has to be in the power side shorting out somewhere,Blade type fuses can be replaced with Circuit breakers that plug in these days so you won't run out of fuses as when they cool down they reset after opening the circuit, But the botton line is a short somewhere needs addressing as soon as possible in case it causes a fire.

• 1 month later...

Replaced the distributor today in a last ditch effort before ripping out the harness.

Fired up like it had never stopped running.

Had to sand down the shaft on the distributor before it would fit into the hole without trouble, but everything is all set now. I'll need that 4WD once it starts snowing.