Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

So I painted my car...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,392 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:16 PM

I had some rustoeum hunter green in a quart just taking up space in my room.So I mixed in a little bit of rustoeum black.Then thinned the paint with some paint thiner.Then A friend sprayed the car with his paint gun.It turned out really nice.I let it dry for about a half day.Then I proceeded to SCRATCH THE EVER LIVING HELL OUT OF IT when I took the car up a heavily over grown track on a mountain.

the "track" used to be a tunnel access road for the railroad,but the railroad has been closed down for quite some time.The track was very steep and sadly very short but it was still lots of fun.I didn't get any pics of up there,I wanted to, but my phone chose that moment to die. My friend got a few cell phone pics that are up on his bookface.Maybe next weekend we will head up there again and get some better pics with some camera's.As for now here is a couple pics of the paint job.I went from silver,black,grey,rust to a dark green with lots of scratches.Still its a big improvement...

Before:
Posted Image

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Uberoo, 29 May 2011 - 01:22 PM.

#2 newsoobdude

newsoobdude

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 642 posts
  • helL A/ NorCal Foothills

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

That looks good! How well did it hold up to the punishment and how many coats did you guys apply? I'm lookin to do this to my Outback soon.

#3 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,714 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

I think the green does it justice. Looks good!

#4 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,392 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:00 AM

That looks good! How well did it hold up to the punishment and how many coats did you guys apply? I'm lookin to do this to my Outback soon.

I only applied one coat.the rustoleum paint is really strong especially if you let it cure before scratching it.My friend painted his truck about 2 weeks ago and you could barely tell where the scratch marks were aside from the marks in the dust/dirt on the rig, despite he broke trail.Mine cured for about 1/2 day and it held up better than most single stage automotive paints.Most of the scratches probably could literally be buffed out.touch up is really easy for the spots that wont come out because the paint bonds well to metal and even better to other paint,just a scotch brite pad to scuff up the area around then apply more paint..

#5 opus

opus

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 716 posts
  • Trout Creek

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

Got you beat...... :)

Posted Image

#6 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,392 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:36 PM

are you gonna make that into a motorhome or something?

#7 opus

opus

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 716 posts
  • Trout Creek

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

We're a gospel quartet. Its our "tour" rig. Converted it, put in bunks, etc. Started painting it Wednesday. Got about a day and half left before its done.

#8 opus

opus

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 716 posts
  • Trout Creek

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

Finished!

Posted Image

#9 GirlWithALegacy

GirlWithALegacy

Live. XD.

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Wolf Point, MT

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

:lol: That's awesome!
And yes - the green definitely does it justice! I'm gonna be doing something like this to my rig soon I hope! Great job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users