Ultimate Subaru Message Board

arrg!! no heat... brrrrr its cold...

well the RX heater has never really worked well.. it blows fine, all 4 positions work, but the air is barely luke warm..

before i go tearin the heating ducts apart, anyone got any suggestions?

no air bubble in the cooling system, car runs right below the half on the temp gauge.

heater does warm up, but not even really luke warm.. if it does manage to get to luke warm, you can pull up to a light, stop, and it'll revert to cool air again..

i'm thinkin maybe a rats nest in the heater core ducting, but theres no fuzz comin out anywhere.. any ideas?

Sounds like it could be low on coolant, based on the "start-stop" symptoms you describe. However, not likely if you've already checked for air trapped in the system.

Malfunctioning air ducts is a good guess. Also, you cannot rule out the core itself as being gummed up. A backflush thru the core should eliminate or verify this possibility.

good luck, John

i drive with a plugged up core. i also live in wyoming. brrrr is right. some nights, i have to scrape the inside of the windshield while driving. the frost really builds up. i'm used to the cold by now. yopu know it's bad when you can see your breath the whole time. friends of mine will be shakin' and a shiverin' and i'm not really affected any more.

Originally posted by MaroonDuneDoom

some nights, i have to scrape the inside of the windshield while driving. the frost really builds up. i'm used to the cold by now. yopu know it's bad when you can see your breath the whole time. friends of mine will be shakin' and a shiverin' and i'm not really affected any more.

Sounds like just about every winter day in a air cooled Volkswagen, but in my VW the wipers suck too, so you have to scrape the inside and outside while driving.

These Subies are Soooo easy! :D

Gary

When ever I'm low on coolant I get the same thing.....

However, you may not be getting any coolant type heating in your heater....? Let me explain.

As I was taking out my heater and moving it to the buggy I noticed a wire that didn't make sence? I unscrewed the plug and wire only to find a heating element in my heater? I didn't realize Subarus had an electric heating element in the heater besides the coolant heating system.

If it is weak heat, you may only be heating your windshield with the electric element and your other system is not working?

Just a thought?

Glenn,

82 Summer, with heater!

01 Forester, also with heater.

ok, get this one.. lol.. i knew the timing was off a little..

so i put a light on it last night.. turns out it was as 12 deg.

so i set it to about 23.. (hard to tell on a lightened flywheel)

the temp gauge reads that the car is acctually running cooler than it was, but the heat is hotter now..

haha explain that one.. has me stumped.. and the car pulled harder and faster when it was at 12 deg. too :-\