Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are you 100% Hard Core SUBARU?

What a load of tosh! I agree that some people blindly trust a certain marque in an irrational way. HOWEVER! Most of us here want well sorted 4WD in a car with normal ride height, at a reasonable price. Some of us really need it to :D

This side of a Carrera4 there is no other marque that will offer a boxer engine and permanent 4WD.

Even if I could afford it - win a lottery for examle - I would be reluctant to buy a Porsche. The Cayenne is a disaster for their image amongst their regular following. I understand that it is selling well and will help the company turn a profit, but by appealing to the whole SUV/SAV generation of berks they have alienated people like me, who have known Porsche to put handling above all else, no compromise.

Except of course for the VW engined 924 way back in 1975, but at least this helped them make some money in a respectable way and spawned the 944 Turbo!

Whoa there, Setty, getting off topic....

well 5 soobs in the driveway should answer that one.. lol

and i'm not blind either.. i've driven and owned more cars than 99% of people.. incliding porshes, bently's, ferrari's, etc.. hmm no lamborghini yet.. even a viper and prowler...

and sometimes i want to get something besides a soob.. i then kick myself in the rump roast and say why the hell would i wanna give up 4wd, reliability, and cheap to fix cars for some big gas guzzlin v8..

besides i love my soobs for many many reasons.. now if only they made a truck (not a haja) ..

Ever since I had m 93 Legacy, I haven't looked back - when it came time for a new car, I bought the XT :D

If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to have Cobb Tuning build up a Legacy GT (turbo model) to the point where I can put "M5KILLA" on the license plate :headbang:

I've either driven or owned almost every kind of Subaru that has been sold in the US, and I can't say that I was disappointed in any of them. After working in a shop that services all cars (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Mitsu, etc.), then working in one that specializes in Subarus, I've come to realize how well built and easy to work on Subarus are. Every so often I get the opportunity to drive a non-Subaru, and every single time I get back into my car, I'm glad I'm lucky enough to own such a reliable, fun to drive, good looking car.

Long pointless story:

I think my father is probably kicking himself for ever buying his '92 SVX because that's what got me started on my Subaru dedication (or obsession depending on how you look at it). I remember picking the car up from the dealership when I was 5 years old and bragging to my friends about how cool it was. I always felt cool getting out of that car when he dropped me off at school. A few years after the SVX, my Mom bought a '94 Legacy. That car saved my dad's life when he totaled it on a trip to Texas. After 10 years of owning the SVX, my dad decided it was time for a change. He traded it for a 2002 automatic 2.5 RS which was handed down to me.

When I was in middle school, I had to walk to and from school since it was just down the street from my house. One of the teachers had two white '88 RX coupes that he alternated driving. He always parked in the same spot right next to the sidewalk that led me to the trail to my house. Every single day for three years, I would stop and admire the car (not realizing that there were two different ones). I was friends with the teacher's daughter, so I always wrote him letters about how much I loved his car and made her deliver them to him. Even after I started high school, I would drop by the middle school to nag him about his car. Finally, my Junior year, he decided to sell one of the RX's and give the other one to his daughter. I had two cars, the 2002 2.5 RS, and the RX, but I drove the RX every day. A few months after I bought the RX, his daughter totaled hers, so I bought that one off of him as well and parted it out. I eventually ended up buying a WRX, so the RX had to go, but I still really, really miss it and have every intention of buying another one in a few years when I finish school. Hey Silvershadow, this is the story of your car.

So now I'm going to school for Automotive Technology and working at CCR. In June I'm going to San Francisco for college to study transportation design because I want to work for SOA. There are definitely non-Subarus out there that I would love to own, but it would take a really AMAZING car to come between me and my Subarus. Adam NDJ, I almost got a Subaru tattoo last night, but I was short several dollars. I'll probably name my kids after the stars in Pleadies even though they're crazy hippie names. Maybe I'll be nice and give them normal middle names (like Legacy and Forest). Obsessed? Me? Never.

I too became obbsesed after my dad decided to trade in the 84 Ford Granade for a brand new 87 GL-10 Turbo Sedan ( I even got to pick the color. Midnight blue:) ) That car was the shizzle, BUT! We also had an 81 VW dezil Rabbit that I started to assume would be mine after my dad got the Suby. So I was also becomming obsesed with VW's. The rabbit died of head failer and cancer about a year before I got my license, so when time came around to look for a first car for me I wanted either an aircooled VW or a Subaru BRAT. I searched for many good VW but never found one solid enough to want to buy. Then one night I went to an auto auction with my freind and his dad (who owns a used car repair shop) and there it was, an 85 BRAT......T-tops, 4 speed, charcoal gray....I was in love.:slobber: He got his father to buy it that night and I road home in it for the first time.:) :) I later bought it for $995 and was on my way to eternal Subaru ownership. Haven't looked back since and never will.:headbang:

I'm not 100% hardcore Subaru, but I am a die-hard Subaru fan.

I recognize cars for more than just what they can do for me. I recognize them for the things that I can do to and with them.

I look at Toyotas (I work at a Yota dealer) as one of the best put together vehicles on the road, and some of the longest lasting and most dependable vehicles.

I look at BMWs (it's also a BMW dealer) as one of the best factory race cars that exist, especially the M3 and M5. They are also some of the best looking and most technologically advanced vehicles on the road.

I look at Lexus (we sell those, too) as one of the most luxurious and best put together vehicles.

I'd own each and every one of those cars for a different reason, much as I'd own a Subaru for it's own reason.

All depends on the needed purpose for me....

general purpose, everyday running around and having a little fun, and hauling misc items (like 3 six foot tall pine trees for transplanting!!) - definitely the Subadoo!! :D

For heavy hauling, or very large objects, gotta be one of the pickup trucks - again, depends on what it is - too large for the subie, but not too heavy (new riding mower) it would be the 95 dodge ram 1/2 ton, for very heavy or large items (50 bundles of shingles for the new garage - weight = 3200lbs), it would be the 67 F-250...

For a more stylin, cushy ride - the 73 Lincoln Mark IV...

I love my Subaru's, but I also enjoy many other vehicles as well. I guess my loyalties lie as follows:

1. Subaru

2. Ford motor company

3. Anything older than 1976 ;)

Originally posted by JParuBob

I'm not 100% hardcore Subaru, but I am a die-hard Subaru fan.

I recognize cars for more than just what they can do for me. I recognize them for the things that I can do to and with them.

I look at Toyotas (I work at a Yota dealer) as one of the best put together vehicles on the road, and some of the longest lasting and most dependable vehicles.

I look at BMWs (it's also a BMW dealer) as one of the best factory race cars that exist, especially the M3 and M5. They are also some of the best looking and most technologically advanced vehicles on the road.

I look at Lexus (we sell those, too) as one of the most luxurious and best put together vehicles.

I'd own each and every one of those cars for a different reason, much as I'd own a Subaru for it's own reason.

I fully agree with everything said here. I also work at a Toyota dealer, and I can say that Toyota makes excellent cars, the only catch is you hafta keep after the new ones. Bob would completely agree with me, as I'm sure he knows as much about the aluminum V6 sludge fiasco :brolleye:

I really don't know what BMW's secret is over everybody else about making engines. Somehow, they can make an engine that is smoother than melted butter, and reliable as a tractor, yet give it seamless power and torque curves. I drove a 02 525i once, and how a little 2.5 liter I6 with 184hp could move an almost-2-ton car as fast as it did and yet not even feel stressed about it is beyond me. Then there's the F1 engines they were making in the 60s and 70s. A 1.5L 4cyl turbo with 1000hp (yes 3 zeros, one thousand) that would last a whole 2hr F1 endurance event.

Lexus: I don't care what Mercedes has, I don't care what Bentley has, I don't car what ANYBODY has, the LS430 is simply the best luxury car in the world. It's so close to being perfect it's scary. You can open the hood and put your head right next to the engine and barely hear it running, yet it will easily light up the rear tires with heavy throttle. The ride and ergonomics are the best of the best. And the brand-new ones have the fingerprint lock release system, where you touch a door handle or trunk lid and it recognizes you and opens it. NO KEYS!!!

But Subarus still have a special place in my heart. They're not the most beautiful, or the fastest, or the most reliable (pretty close though :) ). But they have a charisma and personality unlike any other car I've ever driven!