Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WRX diff on my EA82?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ABawm 88 GL

ABawm 88 GL

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Westside Olympia

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

I converted my EA82 88 GL to RWD a couple months ago and its been running great, Like drifting everwhere everyday great, but yesterday the rear 3.9 open Diff gave up :( I want to replace it with an lsd, but my friend has an 05 WRX diff and without much knowledge on this at all. Is it possible to move the splines from MY diff to HIS diff so that my cv axles can slide onto it?

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

You will need to use inner axle joints from a '95+ on EA82 shaft/outer joint assemblies to interface it.

GD

#3 ABawm 88 GL

ABawm 88 GL

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Westside Olympia

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Are there any instructions on how to do this?

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

No, not really. You just swap the joint cup. It's not rocket science. It's a CV boot and a snap ring.

GD

#5 suberdave

suberdave

www.suberdave.com

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Covington

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

if you need some shafts that will make this work. just let me know. i can sale you just the parts that you need, or i can make you some shafts that will be plug and play.

-=Suberdave=-

#6 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 538 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

Is there any advantage to going this way? Or is it just to use the WRX diff? I could see that possibly it would be a smoother transfer of power only because of less surface to surface interface.....

Please explain/enlighten me.....

Spencer

#7 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

Not really much difference. I think they went to axle splines on the inside of the diff to avoid having the splines rust from being exposed.

It's just to use the WRX diff which requires the "male" axle joint vs. the female roll-pinned version.

GD

#8 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,790 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

WRX rear diff ratio will not match the front diff's ratio if you go back to stock, IIRC it is 3.54 vs 3.90.

#9 ABawm 88 GL

ABawm 88 GL

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Westside Olympia

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

I'm RWD so it really doesn't matter considering I don't have front CV axles? Right? At this point I just don't know how to transfer the Female axle joint to the Male WRX one on the CV axles, I've looked into it and the only way seemingly possible is to break it off, and I'm not really trying haha

#10 suberdave

suberdave

www.suberdave.com

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • Covington

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

if you have both the EA82 rear shafts and WRX shafts, its not all that hard.

if you dont have all the parts, i have axle parts coming out my ears.

i can help you. or do it for you. shoot me a PM...

-=Suberdave=-

if you need some shafts that will make this work. just let me know. i can sale you just the parts that you need, or i can make you some shafts that will be plug and play.

-=Suberdave=-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users