Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tips & Tricks: Reinstalling 4WD 5speed Transmission??

Trying to finish up my 2WD to 4WD swap here. For those that have installed a transmission please note any tips and tricks that assisted in getting the thing in. My biggest obsticle is getting it up high enough yet stable enough to wiggle and push it in. Stabing the shaft into the engine is going to be tricky at best and I dont want this thing falling on myself or a friend.

All that is left is installing 4WD transmission and drive shaft and my 2WD to 4WD conversion is complete :D

Thx!

Make sure the clutch is aligned! I tried putting the tranny back in 6 times, aligning the clutch every time but it wouldn't work. Finally I had my old man do it and the trick he used was to loosen all the bolts, stick the tool in there and tighten each bolt a 1/4 turn in the same cross pattern used on lug nuts. Also, grease the input shaft for the tranny, loosen the engine pitching stopper so the engine tilts backwards, and have a buff guy under the car pushing the tranny!

I did it freaks way the first time. 3 hours of benching the tranny wears on your arms :)

the second time, I used a floor jack, lots of 2x8 short pieces, and a bungee cord :)

I was able to get the tranny up, and slide blockes under the front and back to help raise it up/stabilize it... once high enough, I set the bottom front of the tranny on the engine crossmember, and blocked the back end up. then using wood blocks with the floor lift, go the tranny to the right height, and used the bungee to attach it to the hood/something sturdy above the engine compartment. (not to hold it, but for a little added stability. then I loosened all the pressure plate bolts, so the clutch could move with little effort, but still stayed in place... then raised/lowered tileted to match up, and pulled on the floor jack, and it slid right in. after securing the bell housing/tranny together, then I went back and tightened the PP bolts in the correct pattern.torque settings, through the starter hole.

if you've got a buddy to help, it'll make it that much easier.....